What is a good all around oil to use on knives?

Trying to find a good oil for my knives that with lubricate and help rust prevention, but does not cost a fortune since I am on a tight budget. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use, if so please shoot me an email at cobweb9999greg@sbcglobal.net and again thanks for any help you can offer. God Bless The USA and all our Troops.

yeah I think 3 and 1 did good on a test one of our knifemakers did Anthony Self. Maybe he can post the link to his test.

Mineral oil is food safe and better at rust prevention. Your local drugstore calls it baby oil.

Anthony, I just sit here and watched your video. Like you I was kind of surprised at the results, 3 in 1 oil, being the best. If I would have had to put money on it, I would have went with the Gun oil!

Very interesting test!! Thumbs up!!

Anthony, I just sit here and watched your video. Like you I was kind of surprised at the results, 3 in 1 oil, being the best. If I would have had to put money on it, I would have went with the Gun oil!

Very interesting test!! Thumbs up!!
I agree on that and tossed my Rem oil after seeing this.

For years I tried various oils. The standard 3 in 1 oil, WD-40, Renaissance wax, and the Rem oil. Renaissance wax did a fair job, but none of them, of any oil I had tried could keep 400x and above polished blades rust free in my shop during the spring and early summer in Michigan. It became part of my routine to wait for the final polish so that I could get those things polished and shipped before they would start to stain just sitting on the bench.

All the while I had friends telling me to get Ballistol, but after my experience I just said “Yeah, yeah, sure another wonder oil that will do what none of the others can.” Eventually I bought some and found that there is indeed an oil that is significantly different in corrosions protection. I can now leave sword blades, polished to 600X on my bench for months at a time and not have a single spot on them. I have a sword that I take to talks to let the audience feel a real sword, that I used to have to clean, oil and seal up in airtight case as soon as my talk was over and I would still have a random spot, here or there, then next time I took it out. It now sits in the corner, leaned up against the wall of my lab for months, rubbed down with Ballistol, with no problems.

Ha ha, your right about that, it is good stuff and I had a big bottle of the stuff years ago. I finally gave it away, there was just something about that smell I couldn't stand. it's funny too because most of us have stuff that stinks in different ways around our shop but Ballistol is really strong...and different.

Another oil I've used that has a big time smell is weapon shield...good oil but stinks in a real funny way.
I pretty much just stick to Mobile 1 5w20.

I have started to use chainsaw bar oil for its sticky ability to stay on the steel and in particular for when I am shipping knives off the the US where they might be in humid climate during shippping for a week or more.

Oil was discontinued for use on completed knives in my shop a LONG time ago. I use wax on everything, specifically, Mother's Carnauba Cleaner/wax. I've tried many other types of waxes, including RenWax, but I always come back to that specific Mother's brand.

If you feel you must use some type of "oil" Ballistol is the best I've found, but it has the down side of attracting dirt/dust, just as any "oil" will. Personally, I especially like wax for folders..... it protects, without drawing dirt/dust..... although most won't divulge it, it's the "secret" to how may folder makers get a super smooth "action" on their knives.....particularly flippers. ;)

Trying to find a good oil for my knives that with lubricate and help rust prevention, but does not cost a fortune since I am on a tight budget. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use, if so please shoot me an email at cobweb9999greg@sbcglobal.net and again thanks for any help you can offer. God Bless The USA and all our Troops.
I like froglube but I heat up my blade first with a dryer then lubricate with froglube I heard that it's foodsafe also

how does the 3-in-1 go with cutting food?
Everything I've read says shouldn't be used for food. It is an petroleum based product, so of course their lawyers have to say not for use around food. Personally, when a knife is in use out in the field I don't feel there is enough oil on it to have any effect. Now, I would not take one freshly slathered with 3n1 and just start cutting up food. For strictly kitchen use knives, don't use 3n1, find a food save alternative.

Back