well, just one of them days....

Kentucky

Well, it was bound to happen. Good runs dont last forever. Havent cracked a blade in a water quench for a good long while.Just did two 1084 blades in water...Guess what happened today?:D:D:D It was a modified bowie,short and wide, 3/16th 1095..Clayed with the usual precautions. Well heat, quench..........all is well then on the way to the oven ***PING****..Whats funny is it cracked on the SPINE: which was still 3/16th thick..confused::confused: Im thinking I overheated the spine..Oh well,off to the next one.2thumbs

Some days you eat the bear......and some days the bear eats you! I keep going because I've learned over time that as I get more experience, I have more of those days that I eat the bear, instead of him eating me! :) But it seems that no matter what, there are those day when "the bear" ends the day with a full belly! :)

That stinks I've recently scrapped 2 knives myself and am moving on to hope the 3rd time is a charm. Kinfe making is like anything else in life I guess. Some days you're the hammer and other days you're the anvil.

And some days your the spider and some days your the fly. Some days your the windshield and somedays your the bug. Sorry, I got a little carried away.

Yeah somedays you are the bug, somedays you are the windshield.

Are you going to set up at the Jenny Wiley festival this year?

Lisa usually sets up, she has the last three or four years. Id say she will again but then woman are known to change their minds :D

Well, it was bound to happen. Good runs dont last forever. Havent cracked a blade in a water quench for a good long while.Just did two 1084 blades in water...Guess what happened today?:D:D:D It was a modified bowie,short and wide, 3/16th 1095..Clayed with the usual precautions. Well heat, quench..........all is well then on the way to the oven ***PING****..Whats funny is it cracked on the SPINE: which was still 3/16th thick..confused::confused: Im thinking I overheated the spine..Oh well,off to the next one.2thumbs

how certain are you that your temperature was correct??

(I use 1425 for 1084 and soak for a good 10 minutes)

The 1084 blades I did were good, the 1095 is the one that cracked on the spine and Im pretty sure I DIDNT have the temp right :D I believe I overheated the spine.

Back