Welding Table

Check out Primeweld 225. 800ish Dollars comes complete ready to weld except for Argon tank and filler Rod. Probably will want extra Tungsten for TIG. Machine is rated GREAT! Check out YouTube.

PS This would be the machine I would buy if I had the disposable income.

Last edited:
I'll offer these thoughts on buying a welder:
As has been said in other earlier postings on buying primary shop equipment, you get what you pay for. Welders are no exception. The opposite is true too - it's easy to spend too much for your actual needs. It seems to me that there are a lot of features of a welding machine that go unused, particularly in a TIG machine. Starting out it's usually difficult to tell what you really need versus the glitz of the whistles and bells.
I haven't shopped for a welding for several years, so I looked at the Primeweld 225. Here's what seems like a good review of the machine: https://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/viewtopic.php?t=14803 FWIW, this is a Chinese machine - as are many other brands on the market today (in fact even the high end machines may be made in China).
If I were buying my first welding machine today, here's what I would do:
- Shop craiglist for a deal - there are lots of good used, name brand welders routinely listed. Get something at a fraction of list price and see just how much you use it - or, what features you would like to have in your next machine. Test drive it before purchase!
- Get a 110/220v machine - that allows you to use 220v in your shop and then you can move the machine to another location where only 110v is available.
- If you are looking for a MIG machine, look under the hood and see how the wire is fed. the drive rollers and gears should be made of metal, not plastic, and should be interchangleable/reverseable to use multiple wire sizes, like .030 or .035 (or .045)
- Also, on a MIG welder, see if you can easily get a replacement wire sleeve (the spiral metal sleeve that the wire is fed through to the gun).
- In my opinion, unless you have a specific need, a MIG spool gun is a waste of money. Sure, you can theoretically weld aluminum, but I've found it to be much harder than advertised. (if anyone wants a Miller spool gun, I've got one for sale)
- And finally, if possible, try to buy a machine that can be serviced by a local welding shop. That will save a lot of aggravation when trying to get support when a problem arises.

I have never liked MIG welding, but this might be because I've not done much. I recently got a TIG unit and really like it. I'll agree with @tkroenlein about ease of viewing. There's no flash or sparks to deal with, and because there's no weld splatter, I don't think I'll be going through new cover lenses for my helmet as much as when my only option was stick welding.
I recently purchased the Amico CTS 160 combo unit. Not a MIG welder, but stick/TIG/plasma cutter combo. Basic unit was $400 and I spent ~ another $300 on Argon tank, regulator, and other accessories. It is not AC, so welding aluminum is out, but it does have a high frequency start, so no need to scratch or touch start.
The only drawback that I see so far is that there might not be any local individuals to service it if necessary. I purchased it through Home Depot and spent $55 on extended warrantee, so I should be able to get a new unit through a return if needed. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

Thanks a bunch for the brands and the important wisdom, gentlemen! I'm going to break out the gas torches in the next couple days and see if I can still O/A weld. After I can prove that to myself I can feel a bit comfortable thinking about an electric rig again. Just reminded myself I have to learn to solder again, too. Lots to recover. :)

Really appreciate all the help!

Back