water heater tank

doug adams

Hi
Has anyone ever used a water heater tank for a forge before? If you do, was the glass lining any trouble? I am hoping to make a horizontal heat treating forge. I will use 1 or 2 inches of koa wool over the glass.

Thanks,
Doug
JN. 3:16

I would also be interested in the input gave here, I have a old gas water heater I took out of my house this summer and I have
no problem cutting it up!!

Perfect candidate for a forge body! I just finished replacing the hot water heater in my house, and striped the old one down, keeping the tank (40 gallon) for forge bodies. I cut an 18" length of the tank, split it down both sides, and add 6" into it to create a large oval. I use these "shells" for my vertical welding forges. About the only difficulty I've experienced is that welding on a water heater tank is kinda tricky due to the enamel coating on the tanks. (You mentioned the "glass lining"...what I do is strip the exterior sheet metal, then take off the fiberglass and foam insulation....this is generally and easy task because there is a sheet of plastic between the actual tank and the foam insualation.)

They also make great quench tanks. Jim has one that he cut in half and made a lid for. He uses the heating element to get the oil to temp. I need to gomrummage through a junk yard.

Perfect candidate for a forge body! I just finished replacing the hot water heater in my house,

Why are you heating hot water? Is your tank not a water heater, one meant to make it hot? :steve:

Juz kiddin'
and striped the old one down, keeping the tank (40 gallon) for forge bodies. I cut an 18" length of the tank, split it down both sides, and add 6" into it to create a large oval. I use these "shells" for my vertical welding forges. About the only difficulty I've experienced is that welding on a water heater tank is kinda tricky due to the enamel coating on the tanks. (You mentioned the "glass lining"...what I do is strip the exterior sheet metal, then take off the fiberglass and foam insulation....this is generally and easy task because there is a sheet of plastic between the actual tank and the foam insualation.)

Actually this is a terrific post. Sorry for busting your chops above. Great idea too add length to make it oval'ish.

Back