water heater tank

doug adams

Hi
Has anyone ever used a water heater tank for a forge before? If you do, was the glass lining any trouble? I am hoping to make a horizontal heat treating forge. I will use 1 or 2 inches of koa wool over the glass.

Thanks,
Doug
JN. 3:16

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I would also be interested in the input gave here, I have a old gas water heater I took out of my house this summer and I have
no problem cutting it up!!

EdCaffreyMS

"The Montana Bladesmith"
Perfect candidate for a forge body! I just finished replacing the hot water heater in my house, and striped the old one down, keeping the tank (40 gallon) for forge bodies. I cut an 18" length of the tank, split it down both sides, and add 6" into it to create a large oval. I use these "shells" for my vertical welding forges. About the only difficulty I've experienced is that welding on a water heater tank is kinda tricky due to the enamel coating on the tanks. (You mentioned the "glass lining"...what I do is strip the exterior sheet metal, then take off the fiberglass and foam insulation....this is generally and easy task because there is a sheet of plastic between the actual tank and the foam insualation.)

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
They also make great quench tanks. Jim has one that he cut in half and made a lid for. He uses the heating element to get the oil to temp. I need to gomrummage through a junk yard.

shotgunner

Perfect candidate for a forge body! I just finished replacing the hot water heater in my house,
Why are you heating hot water? Is your tank not a water heater, one meant to make it hot? :steve:

Juz kiddin'
and striped the old one down, keeping the tank (40 gallon) for forge bodies. I cut an 18" length of the tank, split it down both sides, and add 6" into it to create a large oval. I use these "shells" for my vertical welding forges. About the only difficulty I've experienced is that welding on a water heater tank is kinda tricky due to the enamel coating on the tanks. (You mentioned the "glass lining"...what I do is strip the exterior sheet metal, then take off the fiberglass and foam insulation....this is generally and easy task because there is a sheet of plastic between the actual tank and the foam insualation.)
Actually this is a terrific post. Sorry for busting your chops above. Great idea too add length to make it oval'ish.