Walrus and Cable

Wade Hougham

Here is one for my great friend KT.
The handle is walrus with buffalo horn and musk ox (notice the bullet in the musk ox). The guard is tricolor mokume and the blade was forged from a 1" cable. Blade is 7 1/8" and the overall length is 13 1/8".

Attachments

• KT Knife and Handle 051.jpg
    KT Knife and Handle 051.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 116
  • KT Knife and Handle 053.jpg
    KT Knife and Handle 053.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 122
  • KT Knife and Handle 058.jpg
    KT Knife and Handle 058.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Wade I have a large collection with knifes from some of the TOP makers but this piece of art sure helps make my collection NO. 1. Cant thank you enough. Terry KT

Truly an artistically crafted knife. Beautifully created with great attention to details. Superb use of materials in such a manner that the materials compliment the design and function of the piece!

Cable damascus has always held a special place in my mind for the beauty of the pattern.

Wade aside from the time it takes to forge weld the cable and keep it tight to prevent eclusion how challenging is it to make cable damascus? I know I am aiming above my skill set but, I want to make a cable damascus knife for my gpa who nudged me to try this hobby before he passes away. I have a few more yrs I hope he is 80 an still kicking

Wade aside from the time it takes to forge weld the cable and keep it tight to prevent eclusion how challenging is it to make cable damascus? I know I am aiming above my skill set but, I want to make a cable damascus knife for my gpa who nudged me to try this hobby before he passes away. I have a few more yrs I hope he is 80 an still kicking 
Walt,
Best advice I can give you would be to find another smith in the Roseburg area and ask if he could work with you on making one. I took a 1 week class to learn how to forge and my mentor, JL Stewart, showed me how as I made one and from there on I was able to make them by myself. You can learn so much more by having someone explain the process as you are doing it rather than just having someone explain it to you. JL told me he was teaching me things that took him 5 years to figure out.
I wish you good luck and show pics once you have forged one.

Copy. Thanks Wade. So far the closest smith I have found is an hr away, and he is working for his abs practice. The senior smiths I have found are 2 to 2.5 hrs away. Sorry for the thread jack.

Back