W2 Mesquite Skinner

cote

All I have left to do on this one is etch my logo, in the past I've always stamped my logo this will be my first etch so i'm a little nervous about it, maybe someone can help me out ....what kind of electrolite to use for the etch ?
I was pleased with my first hamon, the blade is very thin 3/32" but a small prayer before heat treat did the trick ....no warpage (( :
Blade length is 5" with an overall lenght of 10".

Throughout the whole heat treatment I had a great guy guiding me along, Greg Obach so thanks Greg for all your help.

Any comment are welcome.

Attachments

• W2 A (600 x 450).jpg
    W2 A (600 x 450).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 68
  • W2 B (600 x 450).jpg
    W2 B (600 x 450).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 72
Gill,
Great looking skinner. I have seen several with a similar blade shape but your use of handle material really makes this one POP. Wade

Beautiful! I especially love you choice of Mesquite Burl... A friend of mine processes a few hundred pounds a year and always offers me a few blocks. I had been on the fence about getting some for use on my knives but after seeing your work, I have to put it into my rotation. Great knife, sir.

Beautiful! I especially love you choice of Mesquite Burl... A friend of mine processes a few hundred pounds a year and always offers me a few blocks. I had been on the fence about getting some for use on my knives but after seeing your work, I have to put it into my rotation. Great knife, sir.

Thanks guy's, it's my first time using mesquite ...very nice wood (( :

Love what you did with the old school design. Well done!

Thanks Murph, I'm sure this design has been used 100's of times and probably for the same reason......when it comes to doing the job it's a real work horse.

You've done it again, Gill! Great looking skinner that ought to do the job on a moose or an elk with ease. Really like Mesquite - makes great handles and great flavoring for charcoal. Mesquite grilled elk steaks? I'm in!!!!!!

Very well done, I been wanting to make one of those for some time now, for my brother in law. Love the Mesquite too.

Dale

Back