Tried my hand at a dagger

Jbh blades

I wanted to make something I wasn't comfortable grinding. I also wanted to do some sort of hardware and a hidden tang.1-21-2015 027.jpg1-21-2015 028.jpg1-21-2015 039.jpg1-21-2015 043.jpg1-21-2015 024.jpg
This is what the result was. 4 1/8 blade, 9 1/8 overall.
A 2 piece wooden sheath with magnetic retention and matching grain to the handle.
Blade is an old Nicholson (I'm sure ya'll saw that) and the finger guard is out of some scrap O1 I had in the scrap bin. Stainless pins throughout and a leather welt sandwiched between the sheath halves. Belt loop tacked and epoxied. Thats where my major mistake took place. Cracked the back side of the sheath tacking on the belt loop. Oops, filled the crack with epoxy, it should hold just fine and can barley be seen with the knife removed. Overall Im happy with it.

Thats really cool I like how you gave Nicholson some credit too! The sheath is awesome Ireally like how you made it look like one peice

Tried yur hand, an done well at it too! I like how the Nicholson logo was left, that had to be trying to not mess that up while you were working the rest of the knife!
2thumbs.gif

I think projects like this are why we all love knife making. Super creative and well executed.
Thanks for sharing!
- J

Thanks for all the kind words Dawgs!
How did you setup the magnetic retention? In each half of the sheath near the inside top I hand milled a round recess just deeper than the magnet depth then set the magnets with epoxy. Sanded flush to the wood, done. The magnets are set in the flat recasso area in relation to the dagger.
The whole project was fun and challenging. Thanks again for looking and commenting.
You guys rock, so many talented people!

Back