Today I Fell In Love With A Polymorph

MTBob

Actually Polymorph Plastic - Sorry for the cheesy click bait subject line, couldn't resist.
Here's the story. Long ago I purchased a Japanese cleaver and over the years it has suffered from heavy use and eventually a broken handle. To repair this I want to make a WA Style handle with a solid brass end fitting. This seemed pretty simple until I closely looked at the tang and found it to be both tapered lengthwise and had an irregular trapezoidal-like cross section. That prohibited any kind of symmetrical / parallel layout of the hole. After a lot of head scratching I though of the jar of Polymorph Plastic that has been banging around the shop for years and never used. This plastic is also called Thermoplastic, Moldable Plastic, InstaMorph, etc. - See Amazon for a bunch of inexpensive purchase options.
It is almost rock hard at room temperature but becomes very moldable by hand at 150F. I submerge the plastic polymorph (comes in tiny pellets) in water and microwave them for about a minute. Check out YouTube for details of how to work with this stuff - it's really simple.
Here's the method I used to get a profile of the knife tang:
First, to test the plastic's strength, I made a razor blade holder. Once cooled to room temp the handle is very hard and holds the blade solid.
To get the shape of the cross section I pushed a chunk of warm plastic over the tang and let it cool (mostly)
1609899644515.pngc
While slightly soft, I sliced a section of the plastic (using my new razor blade knife) short of where the brass fitting will go. Now I have the outline of the tang shape.
1609899875472.png
I then used that template to outline the position of the tang hole on the brass fitting.
1609900035124.png
Then it's just a matter of milling out the relief on the back side and roughing out the tang shape based on the scribe lines - then finishing with files and swagging to fit.
If the handle turns out satisfactorily I'll do a post of that later.
1609900144056.png
This moldable plastic is a tough, really cheap and reusable material for making or copying shapes. The applications are endless.
1609900648741.png

funny - it kind of is click bait. I thought you meant something from the last star wars movie I watched. Not the most recent as I think I'm done star wars. Since my internet is slow, I found out you can hover over the thread title with the mouse. It'll give you the first few lines so you can get an idea of the thread topic.

Something I've gotten away with is to find center on the guard/front bolster. With calipers, transfer the width of the top and bottom of the ricasso to the guard and then connect the lines. I would get the same trapezoid shape but it's file and fit that way too. I copied the press fit method, but don't tell where I learned it from on that knife. Good to know what I could do if needed. I learned from the experience and hate to have heat treated knife steel around not being used. Just seems like a waste so I finished that knife for personal use and heat treat testing.

I use this stuff all the time to hold work for engraving. It’s handy. I have not seen it used to get a profile before and I will have to remember that.

Back