Titanium thickness?

Keith Willis

Ok guys, I am healing up and hoping to be in the shop before much longer. I was wondering what is a good thickness of titanium for smaller too medium sized folders? I have always used .070 and yes it has always worked well, I know something thinner would give me a little thinner knife, but will it give me enough threads? I have always and still plan to use 2-56 screws but if someone could give me some advice on screw size that would help me as well
Thanks in advance...

God bless

Hey Keith. I've used .040" before for smaller knives and you still have plenty of threads. Those little screws are pretty strong with even 2 threads or so engaged.

I personally think anything from about .040" to .070" is pretty good for small to medium folders. As you already mentioned, the thinner stuff works nice for thinner smaller folders.

For what it's worth, I use 2-56 screws for everything, if possible.

Thanks Mr. Doyle. Yes as you stated, I have always used 2-56 and think I will continue to do so
Thanks again for the advice. It has been prolly over a year since I made a folder, hoping I haven't forgotten it all.

God bless

I have found that when using thinner material that a forming tap seams to have tighter threads. I have been using 0.050 ti, if I used a standard cutting tap the there is just a little bit of play between the screw and the liner. I have not stripped threads yet but the ones I did with the forming tap are tighter and just seam like they will hold better. Also using the forming tap on 0.150 frame lock is much harder than a cutting tap. I also find that if I over heat the Ti when drilling for grinding close to a hole I'm going to tap is when I break taps. So I use the forming on up to 0.070 thick and a cutting larger than that and try to keep the work cool.

Hope this help and saves a few taps

I have used between 0.040 and 0.080 for liners without any troubles. On the thinner material a flat head will go deeper than the thickness of the liners into the back spacer with a 2-56 screw.

New guy here and honestly, I've only made four folders so far but, I have a couple thoughts on this so figured I'd jump in. I personally think the liner thickness needs to be scaled to the size of the knife. There's a big difference in appearance of a .040" liner versus a .070" liner. I'm putting the finishing touches on a small (3-5/16" closed) linerlock that has .063" liners and I feel they are too thick. I've already ordered up some .040" Ti for the next one. On screws, a .040" liner will have 2.24 threads engaged with a 2-56 screw versus 3.2 threads with an 0-80 screw. That is almost one full thread which accounts for a 43% increase. You can also attain tighter tolerances with a 0-80 screw because the clearance drill at that size can have tighter fit and if you use a flat head screw, it won't break through the back when you countersink.

Bob

Well, people, you are not taking into account the size of the hole in tapping titanium. If you are using 2X56 screws use a no. 50 for the tapping hole; if a 0X80 use a No. 55 You will not strip the screw holes. And for a good all around size thickness in titanium, about .050 works well, but as was said have some consideration for the size of what you are making.
Keith I'm pleased to hear you are on the mend. You can always write me direct if you think I can help. Write to niro@telus.net
Frank

Thanks for the advice my friends, been in the shop a little just trying to get everything ready to go. I really miss being out there.
Hey Mr. Frank, if I have any questions, I won't hesitate to send you a message.

God bless

Back