Time well spent

Rich

IMAG0022.jpgIMAG0021.jpg
Here are two knives I made in Iraq from one old kitchen knife that the Iraqis broke the scales off from. In the bigger knife notice the twisted copper wire that I used to fill in where the bevel is. It is a great utility knife with the hand made sheath. The smaller one I made as a chip carving knife, I use it for all kinds of whittling. They take and keep a good edge. I made some others from broken knives and a Rambo style survival knife I had to modify and put a handle on, including adjusting the guard to fit a bigger tang. I made a coffin handle boot knife for my Iraqi counterpart and he got all teared up. He gave me an AK-47 bayonet before I came home.

Thank you for your service.Great story.Looks like you have a good start into making knives.
Good luck Rich

God bless,Keith

Thank you, I have a few projects to finish still. Time is elusive. The wood is oak I got from some pallets and copper pins from some wire. That the workers left behind. I want to make some more knives. I have done some handles and working on four replacements now. I have four I completely started from flat stock and still have to do the bevels on one more. I had more tome down range but I would rather be here with little free time. I will probably go again soon and want to make or get a good work/utility knife that is better than a production model. I have replaced and cleaned up a couple of old Boy Scout knives for my son and I. They were over ground and stained but they cleaned up nicely. I replaced one blade with a metal cutting saw blade. It does hold an edge.

Last edited:
Knives look good.I would recommend rounding the edges of the handle more because it looks like there is just rounded corners from the pics, I could be wrong on this though. If you try having more rounded corners you will find that it will fit your hand better and look more pleasing to the eye. Overall looks like you have a great start on making knives.

Back