The Wrong Steel-What To Do?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I received an order I had made with Admiral Steel on Friday. In the order I had a couple bars each of 1095 HR (3/16x2x72", 1/8x2x72", and 1/8x1x72"). I also ordered a couple of bars of 1084 (1/8x1x60").

My bandsaw cut thru the 1084 like butter and seemed to do well with the 1095 when I was cutting it to length. I then cut my patterns of 1084 with no problem, but when I got to cutting the pattens of 1095, my blade wore out. I changed back to my old blade (the one that came with my cheap bandsaw) and the it immediately said, "Yeah, Right!". I've had no problem cutting O1 in the past with either blade, but had decided to change to a better blade when I bought the new one. The new blade cut thru the O1 and 1084 with no problem, but quickly wore out on the 1095.

Obviously, the 1095 I purchased is much harder than I had anticipated. My question now is, "What do I do with steel I haven't the means to cut?". Will a higher quality blade cut it better, or do I just need to find a different means of cutting it?

Last question: Where do you guys buy your bandsaw blades and which would you recommend (64")?

A good Bi Metal blade will last along time. Lenox is all I use. Are you sure the steel was annealed? Some just comes HR (hot rolled) and can be a bit tough and needs to be normalized before you cut to much of it.

Yeah, it's just the "HR". I'm a dummy. I should have bought the "CRA", but they didn't have the sizes I wanted. Where do you buy your Lennox blades Rusty?

I'm stuck with about 30 feet left of 1084 HR from Admirals. It's a great steel to use, but it's really hard on my blades. I use Olson 24 tooth blades from Rural King (approx. $20-$25). Even with a few teeth broken, it still cuts well enough to get the job done.

Rusty, somehow I knew you were going to bring up forging. I've started looking for an anvil. If I come across one at the right price, I'm going to jump on it. The H.I. got me thinkin that I need to go ahead and look into jumping on the wagon with the rest if you guys.

By the way, I had the chance to do some grinding over the weekend and my work is looking ALOT better (thank you J. R. for the pointers!). I should finish up that blade you did the HT on this afternoon if the weather holds out. Then I can decide which type of handle I want to go with.

Murph, I don't have a bandsaw or a belt grinder so I drill around the perimeter and then cut the webbing with a hacksaw. It's a lot of work but it beats cutting the whole blade with a hacksaw. Denny

Been there ,done that exact thing Murph,... two choices, either anneal, which you really should do ,.. or make a trade with someone for some CRA or home annealed.
You can do it if you know someone around you with either an oven,.. or a welding torch will do.
If you buy a bi-metal just for this,.. you'll wind up snapping it sure as water is wet.
Get one, but dont get it to cut this ,lol.

There's always a comedian in every group. I'm thinking of taking this stuff back to Arkansas on my next trip home. A buddy of mine has told me that his brother is a master machinist and has access to a lazer. He said that he has told his brother that I was trying to get started in knifemaking and that he said he's help me out if he could. Guess I need to come up with some good designs for that 3/16x2" stock I have.

By the way,the water saw joke was funny. I've been waiting for someone to hit me with that one.

Murph, I'd be glad to help you cut the stuff if you need it. Laser would be ok to especially if it's free.

Murph....
If you only got a few to do, you could always use the angle grinder with cutting disc on there. Not the most agile tool for cutting, and there will be more clean up, but it will get the job done.

Larry

Back