the word Hamon

bubba-san

Generally speaking the word hamon , means Ripple ring on the water ! there are over 200 different words just for hamon , and its location on the blade !
the word yakiba is translated here http://jisho.org/words?jap=yakiba&eng=&dict=edict . Just a little info for those of you that are studying Japanese. this contradiction in terms comes from the five swordmaking schools in feudal japan arguing who is right. Funny how some things never change !! also refered to as the Gokaden . Also of interest there are not enough words in the english language to adequately describe all parts of the japanese sword. I guess you could call this a language tutorial

Last edited:
Huhh???

OK, let's just say that we have our own dialect. If we don't, I'm already lost.:biggrin:

I understand the confusion , the major difference is , in the english language we have 26 letters in our alphabet .chinese and japanese they have thousands, to make it worse each language chinese, and japanese have hundreds of dialects .:s11779:

Hey Denny hows it going, that translator helps me a lot , just too many symbols and words to remember . Even if you understand japanese , some japanese dont understand each other . the link at top of page is also very good .

Last edited:
Going well, Jim, just trying to get an order out and finish up Christmas shopping. Can't wait to start on that beautiful damascus you sent me. I still haven't decided whether to go with two hunters or one great big fighter. I've never done a fighter that big but it sure would have a pretty blade.

Heck , go ahead and make a big one , after you do some large ones the smaller blades are much easier , for me at least .

I reckon you are right, Jim. Besides, when you and I sneak over to the sandbox I'll need a big knife to help the tangos meet Allah.

Thanks for posting that translator... I can see some lost hours of my day, playing with that one... :)

Back