29 KB · Views: 172
  • a 012.jpg
    a 012.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 0 015.jpg
    0 015.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 162
weeeeeeelllll,
you can tell i have #'s running through my head today..... the tang is 3/4 long not 7/8. i must have been thinking of something else.
britt

How are you going to connect the handle to the tang? I'm kinda new at this knife thing but it looks like the short tang will limit the strength of the knife. I can't help but question the integrity of the connection between handle and blade.

Hi Squawsach,
Good question, it's one i can't answer( give away). i have the Lile blue prints, so i will be doing it the same way Jimmy Lile did it. I do know for a fact that out of 30 years of making Rambo knives only 1 ever broke, Terry Sloan told me that(he worked for Lile).
Many people think that hollow handles knifes are weak, and maybe some are, BUT, not all are.
As far as the integrity goes,it's sold as a rock. but lets be even more honest.....
If it can't be destroyed, it can't be made....=)
among hollow handle makers are Farid, Robert perish, Lile, Randall, all of there knives stand up to the test and i have never seen of heard of one breaking.
i think over time everything will start to break down, look at the mona lisa=)
britt

Hi Carey,
i understand!!!=)
The way Lile did it was never told to anyone except the guys who worked with him.
It took me 3 years to find out how he did it. Out of all the other fellows out there making rambo knives....This is one of the things that makes mine a little better than there's, the Lile method. So that's why i dont wont to say.=)
britt

Hi Squawsach,
Good question, it's one i can't answer( give away). i have the Lile blue prints, so i will be doing it the same way Jimmy Lile did it. I do know for a fact that out of 30 years of making Rambo knives only 1 ever broke, Terry Sloan told me that(he worked for Lile).

britt

I always heard that all 6 of the original Lile First Blood knives were destroyed during filming and were stored away somewhere in pieces. I can't verify if that is true but they were stamped "Movie Knife" and none of them have surfaced since.

Hi Mike,
look on your web site under Rambo knives. The picture on sly's wall of knives, The two knives on the bottom left are the movie knives.
You Tube use to have the video where you could see them for a second, but i can't find it on there.

As far as broken ones...... i was meaning the ones the Lile shop made after the movies.
Hope you are well Mike,
britt

Britt, looks like your project is coming along nicely. As far as the handle, how have you tested them for strength? I've never made a hollow handle although I always thought is was a neat thing from the time I saw the movie. If I ever make one I'll just have to hack a tree down to see how it holds up. I believe I'd weld it to the tang and anneal it because it seems like a pin would be the weak link. I doubt many that left Lile's shop after the movie saw much hard use but I could be wrong.

Hi Cliff,
Great question and good points.=)
I agree that a lot of them most likely sat on shelves, however i do know that many were used by people in the service too.I have owned two real Lile Rambo "the mission" bowie's and did use them, and they held up.

I will be doing a destruction video soon. With the purpose to wreck one. I am a firm believe of the saying "if it can be made, it can be destroyed". i personally don't know of any knife that wont fail after some time,some sooner that later.

My goal is to make one that is rock solid NOT wreck proof. So with that in mind i believe i can and have.I am fans of and friends with Steve Kelly and Ed caffrey and i have talked to them both about the method of the connection of the knife.my friend don who owns a machine shop(he is a second gen machine-est) has also given me some good points.

As far as pins go.....You are able to buy s.s. or carbon, heat treated too.
As i am not willing to give the Lile method away=), i really can say that it would be impossible for it to come apart,the tang will break way before it ever comes a part.

As i have said before i don't know of any hollow handle knife made by a good maker that has come apart. Les Robertson even used a Robert Parish hollow handle in the service and he swears by it. i only say all that ..... because i do understand the questions and concerns about them.

when i do the video i will post it here for sure.......unless i have t eat my words=).....
britt

Hi Cliff,
Great question and good points.=)
I agree that a lot of them most likely sat on shelves, however i do know that many were used by people in the service too.I have owned two real Lile Rambo "the mission" bowie's and did use them, and they held up.

I will be doing a destruction video soon. With the purpose to wreck one. I am a firm believe of the saying "if it can be made, it can be destroyed". i personally don't know of any knife that wont fail after some time,some sooner that later.

My goal is to make one that is rock solid NOT wreck proof. So with that in mind i believe i can and have.I am fans of and friends with Steve Kelly and Ed caffrey and i have talked to them both about the method of the connection of the knife.my friend don who owns a machine shop(he is a second gen machine-est) has also given me some good points.

As far as pins go.....You are able to buy s.s. or carbon, heat treated too.
As i am not willing to give the Lile method away=), i really can say that it would be impossible for it to come apart,the tang will break way before it ever comes a part.

As i have said before i don't know of any hollow handle knife made by a good maker that has come apart. Les Robertson even used a Robert Parish hollow handle in the service and he swears by it. i only say all that ..... because i do understand the questions and concerns about them.

when i do the video i will post it here for sure.......unless i have t eat my words=).....
britt

I'd hope you would post it even if it fails, maybe then we can get a look at that top secret connection. Who knows maybe NASA could use the design for something special or engineers could use it to build bridges stronger.2thumbs

Britt,

I don't blame you a bit. I just couldn't resist the comment.

I always thought they were neat but couldn't afford a Lile and wasn't interested in the junk.

I wish you all the success in the world.

Carey

Back