The Making of a Feather Pattern Bowie over at the CKCA

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I've been a member of the CKCA (Custom Knife Collectors Association) for a couple years now. I been over there lately with yet another bowie WIP and have had a screw up, well its more like a learning experience. I forged for 3 days on a nice feather pattern and cracked it on the final step of the preceedure and had to start over. I think its one of the best WIP on this pattern yet. Very detailed and good pics. You may need to register there but its free to view.
You should check it out at http://www.customknifecollectorsassociation.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=520

Last edited:
Hey mate,
It will be so good for people to see it and just how much time & effort gets expended on a piece of damascus only to have something go wrong.
I see what ya mean about it kicking your arse but what a save. 2thumbs That dagger blade will look unreal.

Cheers Bruce

I have the blade made, and will start on the handle and guard next. After a rocky start this one looks to smoothing out. Here is the blade if you havent been over there.

100_6893_edited.jpg

:eek:Incredible WIP thread Bruce!! I'd sure love to make steel near that incredible one day2thumbs That Is gorgeous Feather pattern Damascus. I'm Glad you got that Dagger out of the first Billet! And with the "criss" type pattern sure should be an incredible Piece;)

Bruce,
I was once told by a fellow MS that we don't screw up. We create opportunities. Man I do create a lot of those.:D

Thanks for giving so much of your time to share these Wip's

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives

Blade Show tester table24P-A

I'm really enjoying it Bruce. Thanks for the effort.

The one piece frame and rear bolster was a great idea.

100_6943_edited.jpg

I think so too. It will be very strong compared to a frame that needs liners to support it. Oh we will use liners but they are just for looks really.

I'm really curious why you would create the guard out of 2 pieces of stock instead of one.

You spend some machine time to square up and create that press fitted joint, and it seems possible that the joint line may show later as the piece ages.

(with no different coloured spacer between those 2 steel pieces of the guard ?)

wasn't it more work than to just use a larger piece of stock?

Last edited:
I'm really curious why you would create the guard out of 2 pieces of stock instead of one.

You spend some machine time to square up and create that press fitted joint, and it seems possible that the joint line may show later as the piece ages.

(no different coloured spacer between them?)

wasn't it more work than to just use a larger piece of stock?

Good question. My thinking here is to allow the guard and spacer to be engraved in two separate pieces. Engravers complain about my guards because they constantly have to grind the heel of the engraver tools to get to the bottom of the concave areas. With a two piece guard it will dissassemble and can be engraved separately with much less angle to reach the bottoms. Another reason is the tang is tapered and the milling machine is straight. Its possible to do but there would be allot hand file work to taper the inside of the slot.

Like Steven says, this is a "Take Down" design so tolerances need to be as close as possible. The two pieces are milled, pressed and lock together with minimum visible line and wont show worse as time goes on. If the engraver feels it will detract from his design, he can engrave them each with different patterns. I'll let him decide.

Thanks for the question. It tells me you are paying attention. 2thumbs

Back