The Laser Thread

REK Knives

@Chris Railey suggested we start a thread for all things related to lasers and I think it's a great idea!

Any questions comments please post below.

Note, this thread is for all things laser related... Fiber, co2, diode, etc

Here's my set up (50w fiber) with ventilation

i-28CXDQg-X3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the idea you mentioned about using a 4"X10" aluminum to hold 1/8" dowels to position the blade in exactly the same spot each time. With the plate positioned at same place, that will allow the 1/8" brass pins to position a blade so it will be easy to get the mark in exactly the right spot each time. Get the mark just where I want it has been one of my problems. LightBurn is going to work good with that.

I like the idea you mentioned about using a 4"X10" aluminum to hold 1/8" dowels to position the blade in exactly the same spot each time. With the plate positioned at same place, that will allow the 1/8" brass pins to position a blade so it will be easy to get the mark in exactly the right spot each time. Get the mark just where I want it has been one of my problems. LightBurn is going to work good with that.
Thanks Ken, yeah I think it will be perfect for batch work... Super fast reference and just click a button, wait a couple min and I'm done with all the marks on that blade.

I got the xyzr linear table in today! I had to make a base plate to be able to screw down to my laser... So I made it from some scrap mild steel I had in my shop, then I put felt on the bottom (I have tons and tons of psa felt so why not? Lol)

Now I'm just waiting on the aluminum plate to make that fixture to go on top of the linear table.

i-bPr9Pmf-X3.jpg

i-7N27z42-X3.jpg

i-vVTCtPJ-X3.jpg

Last edited:
Randy, did you use the laser to put the design on the sheath? Anyway you did it sure looks good. Good looking knife also.
22-jpg.82844
Looks great Randy!! So are the marks you make actually down into the steel a few thou or just surface level?

On a side note, got my fixture done... Gonna work great for batches!!

i-vJ3mKW3-X3.jpg

i-Sjgkkn5-X3.jpg

i-wpPpmXm-X3.jpg

Randy, did you use the laser to put the design on the sheath? Anyway you did it sure looks good. Good looking knife also.
22-jpg.82844
No Sir. That was done by hand. My friend Jose makes my sheaves. I can engrave leather with my diode laser but not as deep as traditional methods.

T
Looks great Randy!! So are the marks you make actually down into the steel a few thou or just surface level?

On a side note, got my fixture done... Gonna work great for batches!!

i-vJ3mKW3-X3.jpg

i-Sjgkkn5-X3.jpg

i-wpPpmXm-X3.jpg
The engravings are equal in depth to my electro etch. You can catch a fingernail in them. Depending on your laser settings you can just mark it or cut all the way through. :)

This is a great thread guys, thank you for sharing on this topic. I was wondering if anyone has an xTool machine that uses the UV laser? They have a D1 and a F1 machine - the D1 you can get a infra red head for so you could have a diode laser for wood, leather etc and a UV for makers mark. It seems like an almost ideal setup for hobby makers like me where a fibre laser is a bit much and limited in materials it can be used on (although is the best for engraving steel).

D1 Pro with 20W diode plus the infra red head comes in at around $1500 - certainly not cheap but may be justifiable if it is a flexible as I am reading.

The F1 is a smaller more portable machine and does not require swapping heads but is 10W diode plus the IR laser at about the same price point.

I’d love to hear if anyone can share their own experiences with either of these?

My Ortur 10W laser arrived today. I have it mostly setup. Just waiting for my laptop to charge up and install LaserGRBL. I'll post some pics later.
I do have a question on the air pump connection. I have two sources of air. My large (relatively speaking) shop air compressor and I also have a small air compressor that I've used in the past with an airbrush.
Is either source workable? I don't want to buy, at least not yet, another piece of equipment.

Thanks

My Ortur 10W laser arrived today. I have it mostly setup. Just waiting for my laptop to charge up and install LaserGRBL. I'll post some pics later.
I do have a question on the air pump connection. I have two sources of air. My large (relatively speaking) shop air compressor and I also have a small air compressor that I've used in the past with an airbrush.
Is either source workable? I don't want to buy, at least not yet, another piece of equipment.

Thanks
I cannot answer about the compressor, though my thoughts are the small one would be fine, but I can tell you I have never run any air assist on anything I have done with mine thus far. So if those do not work, no need to buy an air source right off.

I cannot answer about the compressor, though my thoughts are the small one would be fine, but I can tell you I have never run any air assist on anything I have done with mine thus far. So if those do not work, no need to buy an air source right off.
Thanks Chris.

The only thing the air assist is really needed is when engraving leather, wood, or similar stuff. For engraving metal it's not needed at all - not that I can tell anyway.

Back