The knife making book I started with over 16 years ago.

rhinoknives

Hello to you new makers and those that have had to let life inter fear with knife making and are getting back into the swing of things.

Some 16 years ago while I was going through a bunch of Cr@p with doctors about getting my three blown vertebrate in my back fixed, It was time for a new path and career in life.

I walked "slowly" down to the local Barnes & Noble and purchased the Book,

Custom Knifemaking By, Tim Mcreight.

This man has written a book for just about every kind of metal working there is. From casting gold to braiding silver wire etc. Also he writes in plain understandable english and doesn't try to impress you with his writing skills.

I read the book and made my first knives by using hand files & learned how to do a simple heat treat and handle work all from this book. It covers 10 different knives from Kitchen to thru tang hunters, folders, Leather, bolsters, tools needed for each project etc.

I hadn't seen it around for a year or two so I picked up a used copy of the same exact book it on ebay and I would swear that there is new information in there! Its good to get a refresher course in the basics again.

So if you are getting started or back in the game I highly recommend this book.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Last edited:
That book and David Boyes, "step by step knife making" are what I checked outta the library that got me started...

dang, that was 22 years ago........

Custom Knifemaking By, Tim Mcreight,step by step knife making by david boyes. the 50$ knife shop and the joy of knife making by wyane goddard are the must reads of knife making. Murry carter has a couple out my son said were very good. lots of good info. in them.

Back