That hurt (Graphic bloody picture)

Ouch, no thanks!

I ground the end of a fingernail down and about .25" up the nail a few months back when the blade slipped on a 36 grit belt. I don't recommend it...

I might have said a bad word or two (hundred)

Yep, I think most of us have been there. One thing I do notice we all seem to have in common - how to treat the "huh-oh", electrical tape with paper towel/toilet paper is right up there at the top - something I've used more times than I can count. AND - no mention of a doc's care anywhere among the group.

I keep WoundSeal Powder at the shop and it works really good for a bleeding injury: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RY2EDE/ I've used it a couple of times, if there's a good blood flow it seals nicely, and when the powder falls off, wound is pretty much healed.

We use that blood stop on our critters. You ain't seen bloody till you see a cow get her udders caught in barb wire , or a goat that breaks s horn. Works wonders!

Sorry to hear Chris. One thing we all know it happens before you can say oh shucks!
You are lucky (at least I hope) you didn’t cut through any tendons and no nerve damage.
I have found blue painters tape works much better than electrical tape.

Last edited:
Yeah I can still feel my finger tip and it works fine so blessed I am. Immediately after the initial shock I thought about nerve damage. Most of the wound is on the back and side of the knuckle so maybe no nerves there?

Yeah I can still feel my finger tip and it works fine so blessed I am. Immediately after the initial shock I thought about nerve damage. Most of the wound is on the back and side of the knuckle so maybe no nerves there?
I suspect it will be sensitive for a while. I cut my index finger on a band saw years ago.
It‘s still tingly once and awhile.

I got lucky today, 60 grit at 1800 rpm and surprising reflex from me. Just above a rug burn, very little blood.

This is what the thin edge of a 60 Grit Cubitron II running WAO will do to your finger when you are stupid enough to adjust your light while the grinder is running. Blood on the floor, blood on my chair, blood on my work bench, blood on the hood of my car. Looks like a crime scene in my shop. One makeshift TQ and six steri-strips later I think I got the blood stopped. Man that hurt. Here is a tip... stop the grinder dummy.View attachment 77227View attachment 77228
Yikes; sorry about the loss of the church gig (I'm a musician and professional sharpener). When I bought my new Baldor grinder from Gramercy, I read up, and was reminded of the risk to my hands of a still-spinning shut-down grinder (it takes a minute or 2 to stop). Decided to keep the guards on, as I'm not immune from getting distracted (boy, do I miss my attention span:)). So far, so good. It's a little inconvenient at times, but the hands are intact. Also, having the chutes has helped with dust remediation. Hope you get well soon.

Yikes; sorry about the loss of the church gig (I'm a musician and professional sharpener). When I bought my new Baldor grinder from Gramercy, I read up, and was reminded of the risk to my hands of a still-spinning shut-down grinder (it takes a minute or 2 to stop). Decided to keep the guards on, as I'm not immune from getting distracted (boy, do I miss my attention span:)). So far, so good. It's a little inconvenient at times, but the hands are intact. Also, having the chutes has helped with dust remediation. Hope you get well soon.
Thanks. I can bend it a little now so I think by Sunday I should be able to keep time decently. More than likely I will have to switch to open drumming instead of right hand but it should work. The Church drums are e-drums so I could go Def-Leopard and use both of my feet like their drummer does. Maybe right foot kick and left foot snare?

Back