TDM Super Grinder with adjustable belt tensioner

IMG_1189 (800x533).jpgIMG_1197 (800x533).jpgIMG_1198 (800x533).jpgIMG_1204 (800x533).jpgIMG_1210 (800x533).jpgIMG_1208.jpg

my latest grinder, belt tension is 100% adjustable, takes 1.5x1.5 or 40 mm square tooling arms, motor mount is removable and accepts either 56C flange motor or metric euro mount,tilt base available early January more pics at post 21

Last edited:
Oooooooohh thats sweet looking little grinder. Msrp on this Im guessing is around the 500.00 mark? Exquisite work.

Terry does nice work. I just started making knives and use his TDM Basic grinder and TDM universal grinding jig. For me the results have been pretty good. This is one blade I ground from W2 post heat treat.

IMG_20141228_164445_zps80b9e601.jpg

IMG_20141228_164424_zpse64b5edf.jpg

Last edited:
Now that is a VERY interesting spring tensioner - looks like it would work good. I had to do a bit of searching for a website, but finally found it. I didn't see this grinder listed on website? BTW, you do have good prices on the grinders listed.

Ken H>

Ken I am waiting for more parts from the laser shop as we speak , price for this grinder including tilt tower will be in the 1250.00 neighbourhood , I have been building grinders for the Canadian market for years sahtudesigns is my website, my other grinders are for sale there I will post here when the next run of super grinders ( a week or so ) is complete weight of this grinder as pictured is 50lbs it ships USPS fedex or DHL is a nightmare with brokerage fees costing more than shipping ,Terry

the tensioner works like no other, I have built hundreds of grinders with compression and expansion springs, the torsion spring is the only way to go for multi arm grinders IMHO once you try it there is no going back

The "Bee" grinding company in Canada uses a similar type of "hay rake" spring set up and has been doing so for at least 15 years for metal grinders and more for thier glass grinding machines. It works great !!! In about 14 years , I've broken that spring just once with lots of use. A handle of some sort on the end of your spring will help make it more user friendly for both looks and user.
Frank

That grinder is a beauty. Love the spring system. Terry builds some great grinders and this one is top.I have a bee and two of Terry's other grinders in my shop and this new one will be in my shop soon. A great person to deal with, plus a top of the line grinder.

Frank thank you for your input, this is the mark 1 mod zero version of my super grinder,the production version has a moulded plastic ergonomic handle, if you look closely at your Bee grinder you will see that my tensioning system is similar only in that both grinders use a torsion spring , my spring tensioner is built using my own spring winding machine, and does not use the Bee plastic tilting tensioner wheel or casting, my design uses solid CNC Machined from billet tracking, platen and drive wheels, it also incorporates 1.5 inch /40mm tooling arms, please note my grinder accepts Wilmont or KMG tooling arms ,my arms will not fit the KMG , shoot me a pm and I will send you one of my bee grinder adjustable tool rests to test drive , Terry

Mr TDM, any idea what upwards pressure the torsion spring puts on the tension arm? I do really like the tension arm joint - it really looks to be VERY rigid with no sideways movement.

Thanks for any info, Ken H>

Thanks Jim, its come a long ways since the first grinders I brought out to your shop years ago

KenH the tension depends on 2 factors how far out the platen arm is extended and which notch is used on the tensioner

at max tension and max extension its about 4 to 5 times the tension of the KMG coil spring

and about 4 times more than the Wilmont

moving the platen arm in closer to the frame even 1 inch gives you a much lighter range of tension,

its truly infinitely variable as much or as little tension as you care to apply, very versatile especially with a small wheel attachment, I built the spring winder and formed the springs then machined the spring pivot/retainer to suit, it is super rigid, in use almost zero side to side movement, thanks for your intrest,Terry

I get to see - and hopefully play with this grinder later this afternoon. I'm generally not the excitable type but....... :happy:

Rob!

Thank you Terry for the spring tension info - You're right, more pressure sometimes sure helps tracking on belts.

Ken H>

took the super grinder for a spin at Robs tonight ,here are some pics,check out pan tilt tool rest,and small wheel attachment,there are some TDM Basic grinders in background, all in all grinder runs smooth,belt tension was great,belt changes are painless release tension change belt and pull up on tensioner handle ,click click,click ,and belt is perfectly tensioned IMG_1213 (800x533).jpgIMG_1218 (800x533).jpgIMG_1221 (800x533).jpgIMG_1223 (800x533).jpgIMG_1233 (800x533).jpgIMG_1239 (800x533).jpgIMG_1240 (800x533).jpgIMG_1248 (800x533).jpg

Back