Taipan Balisong G-10 Proto mockup

Rick Haney Design

My love for the balisong has me thinking about making more balis in the future.I've been making a few Krakens here & there,But I feel I need to make some more bali designs I've been sitting on for too long.

This is my Taipan balisong design,before I started designing on CAD,I mockuped my folder designs in G-10.It's dirty from sitting in a drawer for 2 years.

Just want to get some feed back on whether this design should be latch or latchless,All ti handles?I'm bringing this design out of mothballs,So help me get this ball rollin!I'll post the current CAD drawing too.

Attachments

• Taipan Balisong Prototype 001.JPG
    Taipan Balisong Prototype 001.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Taipan Balisong Prototype 002.JPG
    Taipan Balisong Prototype 002.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Taipan Balisong Prototype 003.JPG
    Taipan Balisong Prototype 003.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 80
This is my current vision of the Taipan on CAD.
You can see from the drawing I'm using a 1/8" internal stop pin configuration,I'm making the first proto to see how it manipulates compared to a external pin location.This is what makes CAD so valuable when You are designing moving parts,You can check many aspects & relationships of different parts in your design.Hope you like it.Feed back is welcome. :D

Attachments

• Taipan Balisong Design 2010 003.jpg
    Taipan Balisong Design 2010 003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 66
Ultrahesh,I am taking orders on the Taipan.Pm me.:D

I worked on the blade,I felt it needed to fill the handles more.I widened the blade just a smidgen!Now it's looking right to my eyes.

Any feedback Guys?:D

Attachments

• Taipan Balisong Design 2010 004.jpg
    Taipan Balisong Design 2010 004.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 48
Love the internal stop pins.great idea!Good design too.Please dont stop using your dremel/rotary tool and sart using the grinder.Those grinds are not only awesome but are a trademark unlike any others out there.

Love the internal stop pins.great idea!Good design too.Please dont stop using your dremel/rotary tool and sart using the grinder.Those grinds are not only awesome but are a trademark unlike any others out there.

mcahron,Thanks for the compliment!The internal stop pin on a bali has been done before by several bali makers in the past.I thought I would give it a try since my current folders use the same setup but with 3/16" pins.I'll continue to carve some blades for limited edition dress tacticals,But to be able to finally offer hand ground blades will enable me to make more knives,compared to the time & effort to carve my blades.:D

Ok Guys & Gals,Been working the CAD drawing,Concentrating on the little details that help the overall look & function.

I repositioned the clip ever so slightly to line up with the backspacer screws.I shortened the bite handle backspacer & screw location.

I decided the rear tang of the blade would look cool contouring the handle pivot when in the closed position.

This looks like I'm pretty well finished with the drawing now.

How thick of Ti should the handles be?The blade thickness will be .150 to .187,That way I can evaluate the balance with both blade thicknesses when I prototype this design.CPM 154 blade w/ stone washed finish,Thick Ti handles with milled grooves w/ orangepeel finish,Ti carry clip & latch.Internal stop pin setup,AKS 3/16" pivots,PB washers. :D

Attachments

• Taipan Balisong Design 2010 001.jpg
    Taipan Balisong Design 2010 001.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Frstr8,Thanks.A fellow bali maker Ben Cordoso made a suggestion that He thought a dagger/spearpoint might fit in the handles,I tweaked the drawing to also fit a dagger blade.Thanks Ben!2thumbs

Now to decide if I want to do both styles!:confused:

Attachments

• Taipan Balisong Design 2010 003.jpg
    Taipan Balisong Design 2010 003.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Frstr8,Thanks.A fellow bali maker Ben Cordoso made a suggestion that He thought a dagger/spearpoint might fit in the handles,I tweaked the drawing to also fit a dagger blade.Thanks Ben!2thumbs

Now to decide if I want to do both styles!:confused:

Ben has a good eye. I like both designs equally. How deep are the grooves in the handle going to be?

thats a really nice design. cant wait to see the finished product

Is it my imagination or do those stop pins look like they are backwards?
Meaning the balisong would not operate properly?

Droopdog666,Thanks.

Raguel3,Thanks,Bro!:D

Twinsbali,Slots in the blade,Pin in the handle.:D

That's why they are on the outside when open and the inside when closed. At least that's how I figured out the slots were in the Blade.

Last edited:
Back