Switching my grinder over to 220 volt. What do I need?

Chris Railey

I have a three phase 2 HP. motor running through a KBAC 27D controller on 110 volt. I am going to change it to 220 volt running through the same 27D. I know I need to re-wire my motor to run on 220 (the diagram is on the side of the motor) and I need to switch my Jumper wire on the 27D from 110 volt to 220 volt. I also will need to replace the 110 plug with a 220 plug. Is there anything special about the 220 plugs the 27D uses or will one form Lowe's work like on an oven? Also, am I missing anything?

Your line amperage will be half, so you only need to swap to a 220V plug set up. You don't need a heavy one like on a dryer. Just the 20A style that looks basically like a 110V plug, but with crossways prongs.

Your line amperage will be half, so you only need to swap to a 220V plug set up. You don't need a heavy one like on a dryer. Just the 20A style that looks basically like a 110V plug, but with crossways prongs.
Thanks, that is why I asked I am still learning the language so to speak.

Caveat: I'm in the UK and we have 230V domestic mains supply here.

I don't think you'll need to change anything on the motor. I think the output side will be putting out 220V, even when you are on a 110V supply. If I'm reading things correctly, there is a step-up circuit that effectively steps up from 110V to 220V in the input stage of the VFD when it is powered with 110V. Everything from the DC bus onward remains unaffected by the input Voltage.

I think it's just a case of fitting an appropriate plug and moving the jumper.

Check the wiring diagram on the motor, for sure, but don't be surprised if it is wired for 220V 3-phase already.

Caveat: I'm in the UK and we have 230V domestic mains supply here.

I don't think you'll need to change anything on the motor. I think the output side will be putting out 220V, even when you are on a 110V supply. If I'm reading things correctly, there is a step-up circuit that effectively steps up from 110V to 220V in the input stage of the VFD when it is powered with 110V. Everything from the DC bus onward remains unaffected by the input Voltage.

I think it's just a case of fitting an appropriate plug and moving the jumper.

Check the wiring diagram on the motor, for sure, but don't be surprised if it is wired for 220V 3-phase already.
Thanks, I have not thought of that but it does make sense. I will check to see how its wired before I go snatching wire nuts off.
EDIT: I just checked with Jose' at Pheer Grinders and he said the same thing. Move the jumper to 220V and install a new 220 power cord to go to the wall. That is all. Thanks again

Last edited:
Back