Sweeping plunge line? Grind line?

Track the belt way off the side of the platen or wheel and use a lot of finesse with the angle of the blade to the belt. That sweep is so extreme it may also have been done on a disc.

I can’t say I’ve ever attempted such a sweep so take it with a grain of salt but I’d imagine you spend very little time at the beginning of your grinding “pass” assuming you start at the plunge and apply pressure towards the edge rather than the spine at the beginning of your pass.

I can’t say I’ve ever attempted such a sweep so take it with a grain of salt but I’d imagine you spend very little time at the beginning of your grinding “pass” assuming you start at the plunge and apply pressure towards the edge rather than the spine at the beginning of your pass.
I’m nowhere near the point of trying something like that but find it really neat looking

John pretty much covered it, but you basically use the corner of your platen to "carve" your plunge line out. It's one of those things that's probably makes more sense when you actually do it. They can be a little tricky to line up on both side, but done well, they look great.

Here's a write up that Salem Straub has on his web page, that mentions a sweeping plunge towards the bottom:

And here's just my unsolicited opinion on the knife pictured, but if someone is going to take the time and attention needed to not only do a beautiful sweeping plunge, but also a gorgeous leather sheath, and professional quality photos, PLEASE make sure you have a maker's mark (or at the very least, watermark your photo) so that somebody can use to find your website, email, or otherwise.

And here's just my unsolicited opinion on the knife pictured, but if someone is going to take the time and attention needed to not only do a beautiful sweeping plunge, but also a gorgeous leather sheath, and professional quality photos, PLEASE make sure you have a maker's mark (or at the very least, watermark your photo) so that somebody can use to find your website, email, or otherwise.

Isn’t that the truth!! Whatever that “D” thingamabob is, it’s worthless as a maker’s mark. All that beautiful work and skill put into a knife and I wouldn’t be able to find the maker to buy one if I wanted to. What would you even search? “Makers with a kinda sorta D logo?”

Excellent callout.

Isn’t that the truth!! Whatever that “D” thingamabob is, it’s worthless as a maker’s mark. All that beautiful work and skill put into a knife and I wouldn’t be able to find the maker to buy one if I wanted to. What would you even search? “Makers with a kinda sorta D logo?”

Excellent callout.
Some makers don't want to be found, just want a mark for those who he made a knife for. I love that grind design, just wow.

I can't do that on a grinder, the knife in the picture was done on a tilting magnetic table on a mill with a face mill with round cutters,it is a slow process did several knives this way but gave it up, you still need to grind the tip by hand and hand finish back of the grind as well as the entire blade. Deane

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 25
I don't suggest tracking your belt way off the platen... 1/32-1/16" is plenty, just enough to where the platen doesn't get in the way. If you track it too far then you don't get a crisp plunge.

But it's more than that - I didn't see specific mention of it in Salem's article linked above either. You will need to twist the knife as it approaches the plunge if you want a large sweep.

Ok. I'll try to put something together for tomorrow. Can't do it today cause I gotta take Claudia to town (60 miles each way on winter mountain roads) to go to the pharmacy. Y'all know.... Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Words to live by for sure.

Back