Swayback Wharncliffe How To

Looks good Bruce and I like the damascus. 2thumbs

If the pin is there for looks rather than holding the ivory on you can try a dummy pin. Just drill into the ivory and glue the pin in place. What did you use to glue the scales on?

I would definitely call that character. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it, even without a discount. If the intended customer is crazy enough to pass on it, I can think of at least one person who'd be interested. Amazing work as always Bruce.

Well, I am a crack head of sorts, so if your customer will not take it, I will. Just give me a shout out.
Jim

Looks good Bruce and I like the damascus. 2thumbs

If the pin is there for looks rather than holding the ivory on you can try a dummy pin. Just drill into the ivory and glue the pin in place. What did you use to glue the scales on?

The pin is functional. The scales are superglued and pinned onto the liners.

I would definitely call that character. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it, even without a discount. If the intended customer is crazy enough to pass on it, I can think of at least one person who'd be interested. Amazing work as always Bruce.

Thanks JC, I'll let you know what we decide. :)

Thats what I'm calling it, from now on it will only be referred to as a "Character Mark". No more "C" word will be used on this thread.
ThankYou John! 2thumbs

Someone once told me that sort of thing should always be referred to as a feature, never a mistake;)

Looks good Bruce. Along the same lines as you were talking about, I am not looking forward to peening either. I really don't like using hammers much, and I am afraid to say the least to even try it.

Guess i'll never learn unless I do lol.

Looks good Bruce. Along the same lines as you were talking about, I am not looking forward to peening either. I really don't like using hammers much, and I am afraid to say the least to even try it.

Guess i'll never learn unless I do lol.

Just use micarta instead of pre-ban ivory. You can drive a truck on micarta and not crack it. Jigged bone is nice and fairly forgiving. Theres nothing warm in the hand like ivory though. I'm going to look into the peanut oil soak, I have peanut butter, wonder if that will work? :eek:

Long ago I worked in a shop that made the southwestern style jewelry, turquoise and silver type. We used ivory and it was said, although I never tried it, that if you soak it in vinegar it would get soft and return to it's natural state after drying.

Might be worth a try.

Long ago I worked in a shop that made the southwestern style jewelry, turquoise and silver type. We used ivory and it was said, although I never tried it, that if you soak it in vinegar it would get soft and return to it's natural state after drying.

Might be worth a try.

I am worried that if it returns to its natural state there will be pressure against the pins and may crack down the road sometime. The whole problem is know when to quit hitting the pin with a hammer. This is only number 015 slipjoint for me so I'm only a greenhorn in comparison to the big boys. I'm still learning how far to push things.
I wonder if Kaye minds a couple ivory scales in her vinegar for a while.:)

I thought maybe, if it does get soft and pliable, that it could somehow aid in assembly on future projects. But I haven't thought that through. Should of said that in my post.

Be careful you now how wives like us in their kitchens.2guns

Mr. B,
that's coming together really beautifully, i think it's the first one i have ever seen with the damascus shield. That only further proves what i already knew about your attention to detail...
2thumbs 2thumbs 2thumbs

Ondrej

Thanks Guys! Roger did go ahead and buy this one and thanked me for the $200 off for the "charactor mark". He really is thinking of having it scrimmed. I cant wait to see how it comes out.

Thanks Guys! Roger did go ahead and buy this one and thanked me for the $200 off for the "charactor mark". He really is thinking of having it scrimmed. I cant wait to see how it comes out.

No surprise there. Disappointment, but no surprise;) Thanks again for this WIP Bruce, it is truly inspirational. Despite all the guidance contained herein, I'm still learning lessons as I build my first. For those who haven't seen it, Bruce's work here has also spawned another slip joint WIP over in the Custom Knife Forum.

Scrimshaw

Thanks Guys! Roger did go ahead and buy this one and thanked me for the $200 off for the "character mark". He really is thinking of having it scrimmed. I cant wait to see how it comes out.

Hey Bruce, I'm still feeling guilty about taking advantage of the "discount" you offered, we may have to re-negotiate. ;)

Regarding scrimshaw, I'd like to do something that doesn't detract from the overall graceful design and the skill that have gone into this knife. Perhaps some relatively simple scroll work rather than a wildlife or nautical scene. Does anyone have a scrimshander they'd recommend?

Hey Bruce, I'm still feeling guilty about taking advantage of the "discount" you offered, we may have to re-negotiate. ;)

Regarding scrimshaw, I'd like to do something that doesn't detract from the overall graceful design and the skill that have gone into this knife. Perhaps some relatively simple scroll work rather than a wildlife or nautical scene. Does anyone have a scrimshander they'd recommend?

Roger here is one that I talk with and check out his work each year at the Oregon Show in Eugene. Really talented too.
Bob Hergert
http://www.scrimshander.com/Knives.html

Last edited:
Roger brought his warnie over today to show off the scrim it has now. What a pretty little pocket knife this is now. The scrim art really added to it.

100_8354.jpg

100_8352.jpg

100_8356.jpg

Back