Surface Grinder - surface grinding attachment

KenH

OK ya'll remember my "Poor man's surface grinder" where I used my milling machine and a grinding disk? Well, that does work, but Travis Wuertz (and others) have a MUCH better idea. A new member on this site posted about building a surface grinder that was inspired by Travis's design. (I Can't find the thread by OneArmed now) Looked pretty good, so with a bit of guidance from him on source of the guide bar, I built my own.

Here's a long thread from another site where he introduced the first build and started the whole SGA projects by finding a source for the parts and decoding Travis's design for us to home build. https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/home-built-surface-grinder.1532559/

Here was first step, building the magnetic chuck. Travis's chuck is 12" long, I decided to build 14" so it would handle my larger chef knifes.
Magnetic_Chuck_Epoxy.jpg

Above is the 14"X2.5"X1" aluminum bar I milled slots for the magnetics. I ordered a pack of 20 of 60mmX50mmX3mm - I "thought" they were N52, but after I got them, decided they're not that strong, and checking the listing, it doesn't say what strength they are. They are holding ok, but I think I'd like the N52 better, and maybe even 5mm thick. I might make another chuck, and if I do, I'll order N52 magnetics, AND I think I'll only use 2" wide bar.

Here's the SG from the "front" (or facing grinder) with it mounted:
SG_front_side.jpg

The dial indicator looks good there, but not sure I'll leave it. The adjustment bolt is a 1/2X20 TPI which gives .050" for a full turn. The dial on 1/2"X20 all thread rod has 10 equal marks so that works pretty good. Here is a view from bottom showing the knob I turned from a 1-1/2" aluminum rod that locks the adjustment in place.
Ken_2.jpg

This is a view of magnetic chuck with a bar I've been grinding. In my first tests it seems to be holding .001" (or less) over a 11" bar (different than shown)
SG_grinder_side.jpg

Here's a VERY short video showing the grinding.

I'll be out of town for a couple of days, and not sure if I'll have internet access after Friday morning when I get on the road. I'll be happy to answer any questions when I return.

Ken H>

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are overachievers...no really...

LOL!

Great job both of you!!! Very nice work and they both look like easy to use. I have the Travis Wurtz one and have only played with it...both of yours seem to work as well as mine.

Ken ever since you posted this my wheels have been turning. Could I accomplish the chuck without a mill somehow? I have been busting out 80hr work weeks. I have been in ZOMBIE mode for some time. Im also collecting materials for this attempt I just dont have the time right now. Excellent build.

Onearmed did his using a drillpress to mill slots in the chuck. A milling machine sure makes it easier.

Thanks for nice comments. As i use it more, i will decide if to make a new chuck with 2 inch wide and stronger magnets.

Well I certainly will have to see if I can encourage my friends to make me one of these for a price while they make one for themselves. You people have certainly wakened the chickens and are creating a lot of noise - all good. Is it possible you will show and tell more for those of us that are slow on seeing the actual parts separately, where to get them and what shapes and connections to each other they need? For me all I will want to use it for will be in the making of folder parts. Your continued help will be much appreciated as it has been so far.
Frank Niro

Just click on the ebay link in post - it will take you to the 1X2X12 aluminum bar

Oh, wait - you mean the pictures of the surface grinder? Mostly inspired by videos from Travis Wurtz's surface grinder. OneArm was also inspired by Travis's videos of his SG. I spent a good bit of time watching the videos, and several of his videos.

Just click on the ebay link in post - it will take you to the 1X2X12 aluminum bar

Oh, wait - you mean the pictures of the surface grinder? Mostly inspired by videos from Travis Wurtz's surface grinder. OneArm was also inspired by Travis's videos of his SG. I spent a good bit of time watching the videos, and several of his videos.

Now i just spent the last 45 min watching surface grinder videos..lol

David, you should take a look at http://www.industrialmetalsales.com/1-Thick_c73.htm

Industrial for 1X2X12" aluminum bar = $8.76 (plus $13.xx shipping)
MidwestSteel 1X2X12" aluminum bar = $13.93 (plus $15.84 shipping)

6061Dude is still a better price for a single piece, as it's $23 shipped for two 1X2X12" aluminum bar. BUT - if you order the whole thing, tooling arm, flat plate and all, I expect 6061Dude on ebay might be a tad more expensive.

David is right - it's not very hard at all to build, especially with access to milling machine for milling the magnet slots.

Ken H>

Ok i see this being a project I want to tackle. John (JPSWorks) has a mill and only about 40 minutes from me so maybe I can talk him into helping me with the milling.
Can you guys link the magnets you purchase?

I couldn't find the 50x10x5mm size magnets I wanted in N52 rating so I ordered 60x10/5mm size. That is 2.36" long and works just fine with 2.5" width magnetic chuck which I did first. I'm wishing to make a 2" chuck, so am thinking I can epoxy with 1/8" or so sticking out on each side, then grind that flush. Have to be careful and not get magnets hot during grinding or it will kill the magnet.

Here is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075N8ZZGB/ They were scheduled to be delivered yesterday, but seem to be lost somewhere. If you order from China with long delivery you can get the 50x10x5mm N52 magnets: https://goo.gl/pGBs8p

You're right Scott - they've got LOTS of magnets. I wasn't able to find any 50x10x5mm magnets of N52 - perhaps I just overlooked them?

Back