stuff happens

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
hi,
off to UNC Hospital in the morning for knee replacement surgery. should be released on thursday. girlfriend says she is NOT going to let me use the workshop thursday. i dont know how i am going to respond to 3 or more days of no workshop. is there a Knifemakers Anonymous that can help me?? i might not get back in the shop before saturday.

Prayers for you Scott! That line about not being in the shop for three days hits home...... when I had my first lung surgery, they made me sit in my recliner for 8 WEEKS! When my Mrs. went back to work after my surgery, she left with a stern warning to not even think about going to the shop..... and of course when I did, she had employed one of my old tricks..... she placed a piece of tape at the top of the door and across the frame.....she knew I wouldn't be able to reach it at the time, and I knew I'd be in serious trouble if that "seal" was broken when she got back home! :)

The ladies are just trying to protect us from ourselves! God love them.

Scott, I just had my knee replaced two months ago. I go in the shop about 15 min. at a time and then back to the ice......................

Boy, I was out of my shop for three or four weeks for each knee replacement I had done. As a result, for each knee done by two different Dr.s I was never able to knee down even on a pillow. There was some sort of nerve damage created by the operations. Don't jump, I understand it's very strange for this to happen. I sure wouldn't want this to happen to you. For many years I had a job that at times required lots of knee bends. I figure this is what created that problem.
Frank

Good luck going under the knife Scott. it sucks but you got to do what you got to do. on the bright side, I've never met anyone who had a botched knee surgery and all felt better after. I'm sure I'll be there one day too.

surgery went well. just got home. not supposed to jump, jog, run or kneel. almost all the benches in the shop are set up for wheelchair/desk chair access. i will be in the shop saturday.

Good to hear your home and have some time to "draw new designs and catch up on the latest craze". (Hate using the word recovery).

back in the saddle. i am walking ok with no assistance. pain meds now are only motrin clones. as far as i can tell, everything went fine.

Excellent. Have heard good and bad stories.
Sounds like yours is good.
I'm holding off as long as I can.

Dozier

Accuracy beats Speed

scott, oldblade here. had both my knees done 3 months apart 17 years ago. and never looked back. when they wheeled me to the front door of the hospital, both times I got out of the wheel chair and walked to the car. both are still going strong. I can crawl in the back of my pickup truck, no problem. please do all the exercise's that give you and then do um again. oldblade

Excellent. Have heard good and bad stories.
Sounds like yours is good.
I'm holding off as long as I can.
Dozier

Accuracy beats Speed
i saw the first doctor in May complaining of knee pain. he showed me that part of my knee had collapsed and my leg was bending to make up for it. was in surgery 2 months later.
things are going well, only issues are stiffness and getting full extension. if you insurance covers it, get it done now and quit putting up with pain.

scott, oldblade here. had both my knees done 3 months apart 17 years ago. and never looked back. when they wheeled me to the front door of the hospital, both times I got out of the wheel chair and walked to the car. both are still going strong. I can crawl in the back of my pickup truck, no problem. please do all the exercise's that give you and then do um again. oldblade
i had been putting off getting it done because of family history. 4 surgeries, 2 with good results, 1 died, and 1 is pain drug addict. i guess i got lucky, i have had no real pain except during certain exercises at PT.

man, that's great, when I had my first be done. I was down for three months.while I learned how to walk again. The second one was worse. I have the same problem that Frank was talking about. I can't kneel down on my knees either one. So it's great to hear that you were one of the lucky ones came through with flying colors. A member of family had her knee replaced same day I had my first one. She was at doing yoga and jogging in about three weeks. They're all different, glad yours is one of the good ones. One last thing I've had to learn how grind sitting on a chair. It's pretty different. Again, glad to hear you doing well.

Scott, make sure your doctor gives you a card, stating that he replaced your knee or you'll never get on the airplane again. The 11 inch scar doesn't give it away. I have even set off the alarm at the jewelry counter at Walmart. But make sure you get the card. Gary

Back