Stag handled D Guard Bowie

John M Cohea

Here is a piece I had on display at the Blade Show a few weeks ago.
I started this one several months prior to the show, and finished it only days before.The recurved blade is 10 1/2" of forged 1084 with heavy random rasp texture on the spine and an antique finish.the handle is a really nice piece of elk stag taper with a patterened copper band and rawhide wraps.OAL is 15 1/2".The fittings are deep etched wrought iron, and it is a through tang that has been peen over and also has a wrought iron nail head finial.
The rawhide sheath features a raised back with a textured copper back panel and laced edges.The belt loop also has a copper inlay, and the stag crown concho is overlayed in copper as well.
This was my first attempt at a semi D Guard, and is an idea I've had stuck in my head for a while.Thanks to Jim for a fantastic image,and to Buddy for his help running to and from tables!Also thanks to all forum members who came by my table and saw this one in person.It was my first time ever to display at a show, and I had a blast!!!
origCAGNXGEI.jpg

Another Brad... Awesome! :D

I got to hold this one at Blade and it was one of only about a dozen that I actually took a picture of in my hand... Great knife John!

Really beautiful work John. Especially like that elk stag handle and the iron work, and the sheath- well, the whole package is really outstanding accomplishment of knife artistry.

The Mississippi Riverboat Knife Maker does another work of functional art. That twisted scrolled d- handle is awesome.
I watched the new video, got it for Fathers day. Stole a lot of new ideas. I HIGHLY recommend it. You da Man John........Randy

Last edited:
John, I had every intention of coming by your table at Blade and got sidetracked too many times - my loss. What a fantastic work of art you've made!!! Every part of that knife flows so well and your sheath work is just amazing!

Hey John,
Being on the boat sure gives you time to come up with outstanding ideas to create. Not only do you come up with the idea you are able to capture it in the knife and sheath and this is what makes you a TRUE ARTIST. Beautiful package. Wade

John,

It was GREAT seeing you at blade again ! And of course I enjoyed drooling all over your table LOL.

I'm just LOVING your use and treatment of copper lately. Great stuff Buddy !

Take care, Josh

John,
It was a highlight of the Blade Show to meet you. Your work is excellent and you are a super nice guy. I was lucky to shake your leather dyed hand...LOL. Can't wait for that new video to show up soon.

Pat

Back