Stabilization Vessel

Diamond G Knives

I am going to be building a stabilizer. I will be using a commercial A/C evacuation pump that I got in a trade (its brand new in the box!)

My question is this, Ive seen many using mason jars for this with the brake bleeder hand pump. Should I be concerned about imploding the mason jar?

What type of vessel will work for this? I was thinking of using the jar, but setting inside a pressure cooker. These are made to hold pressure, but what about vacuum?

Also looking for any recipes that folks may have tried. Ive used straight minnwax wood hardener, but would like something better.

Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

I use a paint pot from harbor freight.I first vacuum then pressurize.I also have a steel tube around 3feet long that I use for longer pieces.I glued some rubber to a piece of steel for a lid.The vacuum holds the lid tight.Most stabilizing agents will deteriorate the seals so have extras around.Minwax seals out moisture somewhat but does not impregnate the wood like the wood from WSSI. Resinol 90c is what professionals and I use.Its expensive,has a short shelf life,but is awsome stuff.The trick is to have a lot of wood on hand and stabilize it all because the 90c only lasts like 3 months.

Thanks for the input. I plan on using the resinol also. Ive read that if stored refrigerated it will last much longer.

Are you using the resinol by its self or adding anything to it? What pressure are you using when pressurizing, and for what amount of time?

What success have you had with various woods? I understand maple is fairly easy to do but what about say black palm or redwood burl?

Have you had any luck with coloring? If so what dye are you using?

Thanks again for the info!

God Bless
Mike

Not to be a safety sam here but Mason jars are not meant for that kind of vacuum or pressure. I heard about several of them imploding/exploding with bad results. Harbor freight sells a vacuum paint container that many have converted.

Well since Im Safety Sam in my "real" job, you are very good in pointing this out. I plan on using a pressure vessel built out of schedule 80 pipe with a swedge pressure fit lid.

It is well to advise folks that not all containers are the same, vessels that are designed for vaccum may not be rated for pressure, and vise versa.

IG what kind of results have you been getting with your mix? Good penetration?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

George I thought I was the only one that knew about the paraloid b72 , correct me if im wrong George isnt that the same as acriloide b72 and how much a pound are you paying i might have a better supplier I ll let you in on . Dry its 35 bucks but ive never heard of mixing it with min wax. I have been doing some spalted beech in min was and its not good enough by my standards.

IG what kind of results have you been getting with your mix? Good penetration?

Thanks and God Bless
Mike

Yes, but I leave it until it sinks. I always live on the wild side,:eek: so I use the Mason jars with the foodsaver lid. I have a industrial vacuum pump too.:D
I'll re-apply the vacuum every other day. I do not have to release the vacuum because I put Vaseline on the edges of the jar so it will release when the vacuum is applied. Good Luck:D

George I thought I was the only one that knew about the paraloid b72 , correct me if im wrong George isnt that the same as acriloide b72 and how much a pound are you paying i might have a better supplier I ll let you in on . Dry its 35 bucks but ive never heard of mixing it with min wax. I have been doing some spalted beech in min was and its not good enough by my standards.

It was around $35 plus S/H. With my recipe it is waterproof and really hard. It doesn't take on that much weight as a professional stabilizing.;)

How good is the result when home stabilizing with paraloid b72 or resinol 90C compared to professionelly stabilized blocks? Will the resin harden enough?

Will homestabilized blocks clog the belt when beltsanding?

Regrads Jakob

I got a bunch of stabilized wood from IG and all of it is harder than Chinese arithmetic. It has the stabilizer all the way through it but it's still easy to work with. I have Curly Maple, Black Walnut, Redwood, Mesquite and Choke Cherry Burl. The Choke Cherry is some of the prettiest wood I've ever seen. Thanks again, George, for sending it. I can't wait to put that Choke Cherry on the Bird and Trout knife I'm working on.

Back