So why not spin ther pins?

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Will I get around to trying to make a slip joint or lock back? I don't know. What about spinning down the heads instead of hammering them? Do they show too big this way or -? Thanks Frank

Since I am new at this myself, I have done a lot of looking and pondering on how to do things. I have seen quite a few with heads that have been spun. I think some of K.R. Johnson's have spun heads. I think there may be something on it in one of his tutorials. It looks like when using stag that is really rough, it is about the only way to do it. I just got a head spinner the other day and think I will give it a try on one. I will post later with pics and my take on how it went. Don't let the pin peening scare you off. I have only made 7 so far and I peened the pins on all of them without ruining anything or binding one up. I will say that nickel silver pins for everything but the pivot sure makes life a lot easier than all stainless pins.

I don't make folders but I use a lot of jigged bone and after I pein the pins I use a cup burr chucked up in my drill press. I find they work nuch better than head spinners. I did finish a slip-joint folder kit and did the pins that way. There's a pic on here somewhere. I'll try to dig it up later if y'all wanna see it.

Would you gents mind posting a picture of what a spun head looks like??? I'm afraid I'm too green to find a reference in memory for this term. :D

Thanks guys. Though I've done a BIT of grinding over the years, traditional pocket knives are still very foreign to me. :D

Darrin: Did you find any use for that X-Mas exchange material? :)

Calvin, did I say in my last post I bought a pin spinner? I meant to say a friend of mine bought one! I will continue to peen my pins with my bare knuckles, as always.:biggrin:

Bill

Will I get around to trying to make a slip joint or lock back? I don't know. What about spinning down the heads instead of hammering them? Do they show too big this way or -? Thanks Frank

Frank, have you gone senile on us? Or are you talking about spinning the heads on a bolster? I didn't think there was anything about folding knives you don't know! :taz::nono::001_unsure::confused1:

Thanks guys. Though I've done a BIT of grinding over the years, traditional pocket knives are still very foreign to me. :D

Darrin: Did you find any use for that X-Mas exchange material? :)

Not yet Mike, I've been too busy filling orders and previously planned projects. I do have special plans for that TX Ebony though.

Don, You would be surprised how much your name comes up when talking folders with others. I was and am always amazed at the information you could furnish to help us all with. And, of course, the knives of any kind a person might want and folders? Well pick a type and a style and that ol' guy in Texas could make that for you.
I'm still now just making the liner locks. I usually have enough to make but it does get quiet at times. That doesn't please me but that's the way it is.
I'm hoping you are doing well and continue to wish that for you.
Yes, it's true . If you have nothing available and are slacking off, it is hard to sell.
I still find this a super way to spend my time. Good thing I don't need the money. I never seem to end up with more than I can spend on more supplies. Frank

Back