Smokes and Prayers-Ray Kirk Family

Tomorrow is our KGA Shop Tour at Ray Kirks house. Barbara wanted to go ahead with it at their location in order to see some of her friends. Ray and Barbara met with a Doctor and their final decision was to start chemo. Barbara had her first chemo treatment Wednesday and Ray said after the long sequence ,she was resting better that night. We continue to have them in our prayers and wish for the best.

How did I miss this???????

Prayers and positive thoughts sent. Wishing all of you the best. Kick butt and take Names Barb.

Chris

Smoke and Prayers from up North...
DSCN5498.jpg

WolfPrayer.jpg

Ray and Barbara graciously accepted a group of KGA people,friends, and relatives to their home today. One of the daughters said she lost count at 89 when we were moving around at one of the demos. Billy Helton did his demo on the Terry flip on a bar of basket weave damascus and had seveal examples in various stage to pass around the crowd.
Ray did a half penny guard out of wrought iron. I did bolster pins with the pin press. Ray finished up the day forging a gig out of high carbon rod.
The whole day was better than you could have wished for. 60 degrees with sunshine in the morning and ended up 75 degrees in the afternoon.
I pity the poor soul that went home hungry because it just was not possible. Catfish fry,turkey, and ribs were just the start. Everyone was miserable by the time they made it to the desert table which was laden with a wide variety.
I announced to Ray and family after this meal that all of the proceeds from the iron-in-the -hat would go to help defray some of their expenses. People were outstanding in their donations. Not only did we have 3 times the items for the raffle but had 3 custom knives as part of it. I was even lucky enought to draw the Thunderbird knife donated by Jerry McClure. Billy Helton donated the damascus knife which he had made the see through panel in the handle. We had enough steel and blades and handle material to arm a small army. One of the last three draws were for blades of sawblade and damascus. Danny Fulks Dad won the first one and we heard from Danny how he never won anything. The second draw was won by his father again. Imagine the look on Dannys face when the third draw was also by his father. He made Danny come collect it. It was a good day for all. The final verdict was that we left Ray and Barbara with $1250 to help them in a small way.
Times like these demonstrate to us how Ray and Barbara were appreciated for themselves and how they have helped others over the years.
You know we will continue to keep them in our prayers.

Last edited:
What a blast we all had today. It was neat to meet some new folks. Ray and barbra have awsome spirits for what there going through. Thanks to all who bought raffel tickets and to the ladys who put on a great meal.

God bless
Billy

The whole event was outstanding. The weather was great and the food was awesome. Better than either of those was the fellowship. Ray and Barbara and their entire family are extremely gracious and their home is outstanding. I don't think anyone felt uncomfortable and the entire day was very very fun.

Thanks to everyone involved in making this event happen.

SDS

I didn't mean to forget the Kansas Assocaition members that came down to participate. We also had an outstanding group from Arkansas that came to join in the day. It made for a great day.

Surprised

Yes, we did have a great time at the shop tour. I was extremly surprised when they said that the Iron in the Hat was for Barbara and I. It will be used to help get Barbara well again.
We did have about 90 people show up and there were a dozen or so that had something come up and were unable to attend.
I had also invited the Arkasas Knifemakers Association, the Kansas Custom Knifemakers Association, and the Saltfork Craftsman Association to the shop tour. I also invited anyone that might be interested in knives to attend from kinfolk to townspeople. I think this is a very good way to spread the word about our organization and knifemaking in general.
The event went very well and that was due to every one pitching in and working together. I don't think any one could have done it alone. I was busy with this and that and failed to take photos. I know that a lot of pics were taken but not by me. I did video the first couple of demos and then the camera quit taking them. I will do the crawdad gig again and then maybe get Mike Miller to show the pin press one more time. I want to start recording all the demos we have so they can be put on a CD so others can view and enjoy them. It may even be a way to raise a little revenue for the Knife Group Association.
Thanks to all of you that attended and if you didn't get to make it, maybe next time you may be able to.

I'm going to chime in here from the perspective of a rank newbie who didn't know anyone. This was my first shop tour, and in fact my first knifemakers' event of any kind other than the last A.G. Russell show.

I was made to feel very welcome even though I came by myself and knew no one. The demos were great, the food was great (with live music, no less) and the iron-in-the-hat was great (I won a beautiful set of giraffe bone scales and an equally nice set of ram's horn scales!).

Most importantly, though, it was just a great bunch of friendly folks I hope to get to know better. Having just started in knifemaking, it's wonderful to be welcomed into such a great community.

Thanks, Mike, for inviting me; Thanks to Ray and Barbara for hosting, and thanks to everyone who helped make it happen. Thanks also to everyone who talked with me and took the time to answer my newbie questions. I'm very impressed, and I will definately be joining KGA!

Rick DuBois

I have some pictures to put up if I can ever get home. I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. I was supposed to take wife to OKC for hand surgery and then on home to Madill. Got up this morning and suburban wouldn't start. Had to borrow my mother-in-law's car and take wife to OKC. Came back to Locust Grove and Chevy place in Pryor didn't have a starter. Suburban had about 1000 miles on it. You figure a starter would last longer than that. I may get to go home tomorrow, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Had a great time at the KGA shop tour. I won the knife that Mike Miller put in the iron-in-the-hat. Boy am I pleased! Lots of good friends, demos, food, and entertainment.

Ray, may God bless you and Barbara. I pray for both of you on a regular basis.

Back