Small Chef's Utility Knife

The small knife is .080 at the front of handle, and tapers to .070 midway to tip, then tapers to tip.
The larger one was made to the customers specs of .100 at front of handle then tapers to .090 midway, then to tip.
To my hand it seemed a bit heavy, he says he loves the weight, feels like nothing compared to his Wusthof Classic.

just for fun, make a prototype with 1/16 stock(0.0625"), 8" blade, 2" height at handle, and 4" handle and see if you can get weight between three and four ounces. if more of us work at it, maybe we can come up with alternatives to Japanese kitchen knives that some folks seem to worship. light weight, very thin grind and edge, with high hardness(>Rc62) steel, monosteel(not clad).

just for fun, make a prototype with 1/16 stock(0.0625"), 8" blade, 2" height at handle, and 4" handle and see if you can get weight between three and four ounces. if more of us work at it, maybe we can come up with alternatives to Japanese kitchen knives that some folks seem to worship. light weight, very thin grind and edge, with high hardness(>Rc62) steel, monosteel(not clad).

I am doing that. Just happen to have some 2 X 1/16 1095. Challenge accepted

wish it was O1, but oh well. if you have a furnace with good temp control, O1 is much more forgiving and yields same hardness.

I have used O-1 and I like it but I still do simple HT until I can get a knife kiln so I feel like I can get 1095 harder.

When I free up time-wise I'm on this one. I have thin O-1 and A-2...haven't run A-2 that hard yet...might try that.

Made my skinner out of 1/16 O-1 about 3 years ago after listening to Scott L.....that knife cuts amazing.As hard as it is it still has good flex.

When I get the time I need to make a thickness grinder, I have gobs of 15n20 in .070.
I used thicker steel in the first one to allow for mistakes (and I needed it on the first one)!

0.07 should be thin enough, 1/16" is 0.0625 so not much thicker. with steel this thin, you want you to grind 7 or 8 degrees per side for final edge. this is a kitchen slicer, so you should not have chipping issues.

What's your best shot at it so far Scott?
I've got a little set of digital scales around somewhere that weighs down to grams I used to use for arrows I can use.
Never understood the excitement of the Japanese cutlery thing, nothing against it, just don't care for the handles too much

Back