Slip Joint Folder WIP- First time for me, Help needed

Honestly? I would have loved it without the shield. I realize that this places me firmly among the unwashed masses, but I don't like shields. I do get that they are a mark of next-level craftsmanship and I can understand why some buyers look for them. If anything, your knife proves that they are hard to do perfectly. So, while I "get it" I prefer to see the tones and lines of the handle. A shield does nothing for me.

Things I learned:

- I now relatively understand how everything works together and that is what was bothering me.

-What NOT to do

-The best order of process(or closer to it)

-What I want to do next time

-A surface grinder would make life SO MUCH BETTER

Question(s):

- How do you get your shield to fit so nice? mine is terrible!

-When I pinned my pivot the blade got way to tight, how should I have done that?

-Is using bronze washers a good idea?

-Any slip joint tips?

-What do you see thats good? bad? ugly?

1- I use a pantograph mill to make and inlay my shields. Buying the Template and shield and cutter from USA Knifemakers is another option. As with any operation it will take lots of practice and mistakes to learn how to get it right.

2- There is an easy way to loosen up a too tight blade. I can't explain it but I could show you, I learned it from Tony Bose. You need to do it before grinding your pins flush.

3- I use bronze washers to provide anti scratch relief instead of milling like most people do.

4- Slipjoint tips? I have millions of them but don't care to write a book, I would rather answer your questions as you come up with them.

5- Over all, from the photos, it looks pretty good for a first one. Bad and ugly ? Your unfinished blade!

Keep on making them, you have a lot to learn but the best way to learn is by doing. Make all the mistakes and learn how to avoid them or hide them. Have fun!

Back