simple ways to scribe the edge?

thanks Jay, at 50USD, that was steel tip right? doesn't wear out?

That's for a carbide tip. I got the least expensive. Simple dial readout that I don't use. I just measure the carbide tip from the base, a granite counter top cutout, as close to half the steel thickness as I can (1/8" for 1/4" stock), scribe one side then turn the blade over and scribe again. Usually end up with two narrow parallel lines. The advantage is that you can scribe the cutting edge and spine with identical markings, which helps me to make sure the tip is centered, and re-scribe if necessary as you grind.

Jay

I use a height gage. I paid about $ 50.00 at Enco. (The least expensive will work fine for what we do.) I think its a must have item. Once you set it for the blade your working on, you can re-scribe the center line after the dye goes away from grinding, precisley and quickly). Calipers work OK but are not as accurate as a height gage and those with carbide tipped jaws are close to the same price as the height gage. Aluminum jawed calipers wear.

Jay

Jay, i checked but didnt find one at that price, btw does yours have metric too or just empirical?
thanks

Shokr,

Its metric. But to be honest I dont even use the guage. If I'm using 1/4" stock, I just raise the scribe until it measures 1/8' from the base, as measured by a ruler. I know that's not the right way, but it is close enough, because after I scribe the blade, I turn it over and scribe it again. So even if the first scribe line wasn't dead center you end up with narrow parallel lines, which some people prefer anyway. I'll try to post a picture of the height guage tonight. If you have access to Enco, I just realize that you're in Egypt, check the web site "use-enco.com". I think height guages are under "measuring devices" or something similar. I'd buy the least expensive as long as it has a carbide tip.

Jay

Shokr,

I just checked Enco's web site and I see what you mean about the prices. I must have bought mine on sale. Least expensive is over $100.00. I think it is an indispensable tool, but.... Maybe you can shop around and do better.

Jay

thanks Jay

yeah i aallll the way over here lol, doesnt make things easy but i like a challenge ;)

yeah maybe i'll wait for a sale or something or look around, i found one on ebay but only had empirical, that would complicat things for me

enco has some really great stuff but i get the 'site is down' a lot not sure if its due to updates or what

thanks anyway Jay, i'll look for a one with lower price or just bite the bullet and one of those, just wanted to make sure it had metric

I made my own edge scribing tool similar to what jantz sells for less than 10 bucks... Most guys would probably be able to duplicate it with scrap laying around the shop. Maybe I'll do a WIP on how to make one if I find some time. Been wanting to make another anyhow.....

Ah, that reminds me... I put together a quick video showing some basic steps/parts for how I make my scribes:

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26920-How-to-make-a-center-scribe-WIP-Tutorial

As I said, the average maker should be able to duplicate this with parts/scrap laying around the shop. A simple drill bit can be used (you can sharpen/grind/modify as needed) for a scribe point. regular screws can be used in place of thumb screws and set screws if needed. Having the appropriate tap on hand may be the challenge.

Uncle Al sells a center scripe for @ 45. It only marks the center line though. I have used the drill bits with success beforeIi got a carbide tipped scribe.

God Bless
Mike

I built one in a short amount of time like the one Boss sells. I used the carbide tip out of a scribe tool like C Craft linked to. It cost me $5 and I just ground out the tip. The other steel I just had laying around. Quick, cheap, and easy. Works great.

I use drill bits too. Instead of going a size smaller than my stock material, I go with slightly large which makes it a little easier for my banged up hands to hold the bit while scribing the line, flip over do it again.

Back