Simple sheath build along

Monkey see monkey do...View attachment 73075

Chris your basketweave looks really nice. All lined up, deep impressions, good starts and ends. Very nice. The camoflauge is pretty good. I have one suggestion. Line up the bottom point on the bottom point of your last impression. It will keep your border evenly spaced. Like this. We will work on the groover. I now understand what you were referring to earlier. Driving through paint or something similar.

FA612796-F5-FE-4-CDE-9-E47-CE840212-E483.jpg

I have been speaking with Chris Railey in a few private messages. He reminded me of something that I have not shared. I am a big fan of Chuck Dorsett of Weaver Leathercraft. He/they have a ton of videos, how to's, instructions, etc. on Youtube. I have used his rifle sling, sheath, and other stuff to make leather goods. I find him to be educational, informative, and entertaining. If you have never been to their site, do it. You will not be disappointed. He goes over all kinds of tips and tricks for leather crafting. This is the knife sheath series.

FYI: Here are 2 more shields exactly the same size as the completed sheath. I am posting these just to show that a different stamping pattern, different color scheme, or different finishing technique can totally change the look/end result. Your imagination is the deciding factor on how it all turns out.

B4-CE81-D2-AB9-E-4-F6-B-881-A-0-C7-E20482-DA3.jpg

DB9-EE436-1-D24-40-C6-9-D15-45-F4709-A5861.jpg

Dennis this was a great build along and the work is very professional. I have one question about the belt loop. With the loop being attached (sewn) below the center line of the the sheath, does the top of the knife want to fall away from the loop at the top? Do you attach the top of the loop at the top of the sheath?

Dennis this was a great build along and the work is very professional. I have one question about the belt loop. With the loop being attached (sewn) below the center line of the the sheath, does the top of the knife want to fall away from the loop at the top? Do you attach the top of the loop at the top of the sheath?

I do not attach the loop at the top of the sheath. Although it could easily be accomplished. I have not received any complaints about fall away from the loop at the top of the sheath. Until now, I have never really thought about it. Now I am going to have to ponder that question.

I do not attach the loop at the top of the sheath. Although it could easily be accomplished. I have not received any complaints about fall away from the loop at the top of the sheath. Until now, I have never really thought about it. Now I am going to have to ponder that question.
It's probably just a nit but it is something to think about. With smaller/shorter knives it might not be an issue as with a longer blade.

Last picture. I think. We’ll see.

But, here are the three sheaths that I needed to build. The example from the WIP is on the right. The other two are from the exact same pattern. My point in posting this picture is to show subtle changes can make a big difference in the end product.

You do not need to do the exact same thing, over and over and over. Similar is good, but exactly the same is boring. For me it gets monotonous, at least for me. Variety is the spice of life and it keeps it interesting. With leatherwork there is always room for changes, color, texture, technique, etc. Because there are thousands of choices.

Feel free to experiment. Free your mind and get creative.

6450149-A-3804-4-E10-B82-C-6-DFAC8-D123-C0.jpg

Chris your basketweave looks really nice. All lined up, deep impressions, good starts and ends. Very nice. The camoflauge is pretty good. I have one suggestion. Line up the bottom point on the bottom point of your last impression. It will keep your border evenly spaced. Like this. We will work on the groover. I now understand what you were referring to earlier. Driving through paint or something similar.

FA612796-F5-FE-4-CDE-9-E47-CE840212-E483.jpg
Alright De-Mo here is take two...DAF25707-E235-40E4-A8CC-600BBEFF59D8.jpeg

Back