Shop photos

Sam Salvati

Cleaning and reorganizing things in my home shop, took some photos and tweaked em like the hipsters do.

538599_10200342200028576_1463281366_n.jpg

734108_10200342205228706_1878191701_n.jpg

317911_10200342209908823_2076414329_n.jpg

385251_10200342188348284_505790558_n.jpg

One of these days I hope to say I have a shop. I work out of my garage and it is extremely cluttered with non knife making (wife wants it stored somewhere but not in the house) stuff.
I looked over you pictures and found myself saying...I could use that...I could use that.
Looks nice compared to what I have to work with.

Eric, one day. Even if you get a little home depot shed, its better then nothing and if I had to that's what i'd do. Every man needs a place thats his fortress of solitude.

Solitude isnt the problem...no one bothers me because its either too hot or too cold (no insulation). It would be nice to have a shed to work out of because then I would be able to decorate it in something other than boxes and yard furnature and tools.

Eric
Im currently working on my shop. My plan is to use two 20' container boxes or "Conex" boxes seperated 20' apart. Then truss over them with 40' trusses and a sheet metal roof. So I will have 2 "shops" one for grinding and dirty work,one with a heated and cooled 8' "office" for detail work, and a 20'x20' area for the hot shop and what ever else I decide to clutter it with. I started with a pad (crushed shale) then had one box moved in (got it on lease purchase for $50 a month) was luck about 2 years later to find another box in fairly good shape for $900 and just so happened to have a decent tax return that year! I still only have 2 boxes, but Im gaining. I am proud to say that I "officially" unhooked the extension cord I have been running off of and the "shop" is now under its own power!!! Hopefully in the next year or so I will be able to finish the roof. Guess what Im getting at is sometimes these things take a lot longer than what we want them to! Just hope Im still able to work in my shop by the time I get it finished! Shop your area, these boxes worked out well for me, and you would be suprised how big a 8x8x20 area actually is.

God Bless
Mike

One of these days I hope to say I have a shop. I work out of my garage and it is extremely cluttered with non knife making (wife wants it stored somewhere but not in the house) stuff.
I looked over you pictures and found myself saying...I could use that...I could use that.
Looks nice compared to what I have to work with.

Sam, Great looking shop!

Eric, Any shop is better than none. I worked out of a garage for over 15 years before I opened my Cutlery store with a knife shop in the rear. I was able to get a lot more knife work done before! LOL!:confused2:

You will get your dream shop some day as long as you work for it!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

my shop is in the basement works great i also got a garage but my better half keeps it cluttered up so i gave up. the basement has heat and AC plus stairs that the better half don't like!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Thanks for sharing Sam ! Love shop pics :)

I'm curious what the red tool in the last pic is. Some type of micro hammer ?

I feel everyone's pain with the garage shop and the houshold crap using up MY floor space, bwaaaahahahahah.

Living in deed restricted suburban hell sucks ! We're not allowed to have any unattached structures. No sheds etc. I've considered closing off a section of the patio for storage of lawn mower etc. I'm holding out for eventually moving so I can have a real detached shop and the wife can have her garage back, LOL.

-Josh

Welcome Sam and love the shop pics! Glad to see we organize the same! I have two shops or one and half currently. The main shop is for stock removal and has all the power tools and the other is a small space where I forge and later this year the salt pots are going. I live out in the country and we own a bit of lands so no worries with bothering the neighbors however most anything I do that does not directly benefit or praise my wife bothers her lmao!

I understand guys...I'm really a newbie to knifemaking starting in 2010. I just love working on knives, and would love to have a shop I could call home. I am grateful to have what I have, and the space to build if and when I can.
Thanks all for your comments, it helps knowing my asperations are shared.

I started with a 12' x 24' shop, it's now 24' x 24' and I'm thinking about another extension. I figured out when you're planning a shop figure out what you need, then double it, and then add some more.

I have a house with a 2 car garage , to the left of the one spot is maybe half a garage more.. I took that half for my shop , I then took one of the two car spots .. So now I have 1 and a half spots for my shop.. Im getting ready to take the Mrs car spot .. Dont know how thats gonna go over , but its my plan.. When I have a chance Ill take some pics on how tight my spot is , but its workin for now.

Sam, glad to see you here!

Well, my workshop is my balcony. Upgrade from a bathroom(seriously) ;)

Back