Shop Gremlins

Sean Cochran

Shop gremlins, a case of the yips, call it what you want but today was not my day to be in the shop. I was trying to finish a slipjoint, got the blade looking good, worked out the tang, then started on the liners. I dont know if the drill press was out of square or what the problem was but I could not get square holes in the liners, after the third set I quit:mad:Short Bus.

I guess the good Lord thought I needed a lesson in humility.

Anyone else have days like these?

Sean

Shop gremlins, a case of the yips, call it what you want but today was not my day to be in the shop. I was trying to finish a slipjoint, got the blade looking good, worked out the tang, then started on the liners. I dont know if the drill press was out of square or what the problem was but I could not get square holes in the liners, after the third set I quit:mad:Short Bus.

I guess the good Lord thought I needed a lesson in humility.

Anyone else have days like these?

Sean

You mean there are other kind of days??? :eek:

Sounds like you took it the right way, walked off before you got hurt or something really tore itself up.

Check it out tomorrow, you'll be better able to observe the real problem after getting away from it for awhile :D

Mike

Dang Gremlins like to run off with screws that I drop on the floor.

I take that as a sign to have a beer

it happens every now and then, I'll get out in the shop and everything I do goes to crap

cest le vie

come back tomorrow, you'll be fine

Dang Gremlins like to run off with screws that I drop on the floor.

I have spent literally a FULL HOUR before looking for dad-nabbit little screws or odds/ends that drop to the floor. This particual instance, it was my last bit of mosaic pin-stock that I needed to complete an order that was against deadline. I looked, looked, swept, looked, moved stuff, looked, cussed, looked....and I finally found the thing like 20 feet from where it hit the ground. 2guns

That started me on the path to maintaining a clean shop floor.

--nathan

It must be something in the atmosphere , I screwed up 2 handles on one knife last week and then got an e-mail from another maker bitching how he just screwed up 2 blocks of cocobolo I had given him . Oh the above mentioned knife , is now on it's 4th handle . I do believe that blade had a mind of it's own on what it wanted for a handle .

I could not get square holes in the liners

Sean, didn't anybody tell you that you need square drill bits for square holes?

... I hate days like that.

LOL, I can not go in the shop without losing something, ruining something, or dropping something (usually something small I can't see, something I just polished or something very fragile). Seems that's what it takes to get stuff done. After spending all day looking for tools and cussing myself and fixing problems, some how some knives get made. It is a phenomenon how it works around here.

James

I can not go in the shop without losing something, ruining something, or dropping something (usually something small I can't see, something I just polished or something very fragile). Seems that's what it takes to get stuff done. After spending all day looking for tools and cussing myself and fixing problems, some how some knives get made. It is a phenomenon how it works around here.

Got the same problem complicated by the fact my shop is in a room we added on. It is a combination office with 2 computer, his and hers, a laundry room and a 1/2 bath.
Crank in 2 dogs underfoot and 2 and 3 yr granddaughters we have custody of, plus my bad left hand.
Ya, It is a wonder anything gets done.

Back