Screwed bolsters on slippies

Ernie,
I thread one side of the liners, so the screws go all the way through. I have a dowel pin in the center of the knife which takes up most of the tension of the spring.

There is no lock on a slip-joint, the blade is held open and closed just with spring tension.

When I started using screws on slip-joints I received some flack for doing so. So I built one with no screws showing except for the scale screws. This knife is completely screw together construction, I just hid all the bolster screws.

Personally, I think bolster screws ruin the lines of a slip joint knife, so Chuck's solution works for me. 2thumbs

Disclaimer!!!:unsure:

This is in no way meant to offend I'm just sharing the strong thoughts that I have on the subject. The work you guys do is amazing and admirable! :)

BUT......I guess Im old fashion too! The reason I love slip-joints is the tradition of it all.

If I wanted true innovation and functionality I'd go with the latest and greatest liner lock....open it with a flip......close it with one hand....clip it on my side... and show those screws off all day long!:D

Oh and on a simalar note?? Why not use the traditional term...slip-joint....not slippies! ban1...it just sounds like something little girls and old ladies wear around the house to me :confused:)

Last edited:
Why not use the traditional term...slip-joint....not slippies! ban1...it just sounds like something little girls and old ladies wear around the house to me :confused:)

:eek: Hahaha... 2thumbs

Not to hijack this thread, but a similar question would be how do people feel about non-traditional patterns. I'm working on my first slip joint now and I designed it myself, without basing anything on anything else or a pattern. That doesn't mean it isn't inspired by anything else or radically new. I'm unsure though how much of a market there is for new slip joint patterns.

:eek: Hahaha... 2thumbs

Not to hijack this thread, but a similar question would be how do people feel about non-traditional patterns. I'm working on my first slip joint now and I designed it myself, without basing anything on anything else or a pattern. That doesn't mean it isn't inspired by anything else or radically new. I'm unsure though how much of a market there is for new slip joint patterns.

I think as long as it has good flow and good aesthetics most people will like it!!

Oh and on a simalar note?? Why not use the traditional term...slip-joint....not slippies! ban1...it just sounds like something little girls and old ladies wear around the house to me :confused:)

Brent, you have my word from now on I will refer to them as slip-joints:eek::D

I think my granny used to hang her slippie in the shower:eek:, still gives me nightmares.

Brent, you have my word from now on I will refer to them as slip-joints:eek::D

I think my granny used to hang her slippie in the shower:eek:, still gives me nightmares.
Ha! Thanks Sean!

I know what you mean.....when I think of the knives I love that's the last thing I want to be reminded of!

Last edited:
Back