Scoliosis... My story

Dogs, I had another appointment with the doctor... Not good news today. My spine has a 58* curve on top, and 55* on bottom (about 5* worse than 2 months ago). Worse than we thought, worse than we had hoped. He is expecting to fuse from my upper spine to L3 or L4 (3 or 2 away from my pelvis), leaving me with only a couple discs for the rest of my life.

I'm terrified of what is to come in the next month. I have to give blood friday, next friday, and the next friday in preparation for my surgery, on April 4th. He won't know what EXACTLY he will do until I am in the OR, under general anesthesia. He will see whether or not my spine will relax in a straight enough position to allow him to fuse higher up.

I can't say I've really asked for prayers before this happening, but there's no way I can handle this on my own. I need the good Lord to help me through this. My doctor said he will think all weekend to see if he can come up with some off-the-wall idea, but I am not counting on that. Assuming that he does go to L3 or L4, I will be counting on medical engineering to have reconstruction of deteriorated discs within the next 20 years that I will be able to have. Thanks Dogs for your support. I really need it now. Emotions are going crazy.

i am with mike, stay positive and give yours self time to heal. good luck gary miller ( not related to mike as far as i know)

Prayers sent Mike. And don't forget to pray for wisdom and guidance for the doctor too. He needs inspriation not wild ideas.

All the best,
Carey

Thanks guys for the support. I was really getting freaked out, all day Wednesday. Now I am more stable feeling. I'm sure it'll hit me again as April 4th approaches...

Just a little bump to remind everyone that my surgery is this Monday. Definitely nervous now though. I'm a week ahead in my math class to compensate for missing at least a week of school after spring break ends. My other classes will take a while to catch up with if I can't get the work done while I'm out.

I would ask one last time to keep me in mind in your prayers because this is just so hard to try to go through, and all I can do is turn to God for protection and guidance.

Mike,
I am asking God to wrap His arms around you and keep a hedge of protection around you, your loved ones, and your doctors. I won't stop Praying for you.

Mike,

May God guide, guard, and keep you and your medical team and all the talk be about how well the surgery went and the wonderful outcome that came out of it.

Carey

Well the doctor said my surgery was perfect. I'm just on lots of painkillers, and still in a whole lot of pain. The goal is for me to start some walking today. Thank you all for your prayers!

Glad to hear that, Mike! I hope the pain fades soon. You have alot of uncles and brothers on your side, just hang in there and don't push yourself too hard.

I've been able to walk round with a walker a little, I can go pee on my own now, all my IVs are disconnected. And the morphine is wearing off, but the scheduled pain meds are still coming. Lots of resting. I'm hoping to hear from the surgeon today to see how my new xray looks compared to before. If I can, I'll try to post it up here for you all to see how much titanium is in me (guess how many liners they could have made!)

One a side note, I do not have any stitches holding me back together. Just superglue. And he even said that the only difference between what the 99 cent stuff and the 300 stuff that he used is that his is "medical grade." So sounds like we all had it right for our smaller cuts too!

Mike,sorry to say,I have not kept up with this,and I have not read all the back posts.Though I will say I had my first
fusion,back when I was 17.Doc said if I took care of myself that it may last my lifetime,well,I was young and knew more
than the Doctors,I done just what I wanted to do,NOW I'M SITTING AT HOME,WAITING ON A CHECK,AND HOPING
MY GOVERNMENT DOESN'T GO BELLY UP AND SHUT DOWN.Take care of yourself!!Do what the doctors tell you.I have
read a lot of your posts,and I know you are a lot smarter than I ever was,or at least you use what you have,a little better
than I did.Good to hear the surgery went well.
I will keep you in my prayers,

God bless,Keith

Back