Say no by default

Les George

Admin - Founding Member
I ran across this today and though I would share, it's easy to get over extended. Copied from http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2010/03/08/why-grow-and-other-wisdom-from-37signals/#more-2660

Say no by default

“If I’d listened to customers, I’d have given them a faster horse.”
—HENRY FORD

It’s so easy to say yes. Yes to another feature, yes to an overly optimistic deadline, yes to a mediocre design. Soon, the stack of things you’ve said yes to grows so tall you can’t even see the things you should really be doing.

Start getting into the habit of saying no—even to many of your best ideas. Use the power of no to get your priorities straight. You rarely regret saying no. But you often wind up regretting saying yes.

People avoid saying no because confrontation makes them uncomfortable. But the alternative is even worse. You drag things out, make things complicated, and work on ideas you don’t believe in.

It’s like a relationship: Breaking one up is hard to do, but staying in it just because you’re too chicken to drop the ax is even worse. Deal with the brief discomfort of confrontation up front and avoid the long-term regret.

Don’t believe that “customer is always right” stuff, either. Let’s say you’re a chef. If enough of your customers say your food is too salty or too hot, you change it. But if a few persnickety patrons tell you to add bananas to your lasagna, you’re going to turn them down, and that’s OK. Making a few vocal customers happy isn’t worth it if it ruins the product for everyone else.

ING Direct has built the fastest-growing bank in America by saying no. When customers ask for a credit card, the answer is no. When they ask for an online brokerage, the answer is no. When they ask if they can open an account with a million dollars in it, the answer is no (the bank has a strict deposit maximum). ING wants to keep things simple. That’s why the bank offers just a few savings accounts, certificates of deposit, and mutual funds—and that’s it.

Don’t be a jerk about saying no, though. Just be honest. If you’re not willing to yield to a customer request, be polite and explain why. People are surprisingly understanding when you take the time to explain your point of view. You may even win them over to your way of thinking. If not, recommend a competitor if you think there’s a better solution out there. It’s better to have people be happy using someone else’s product than disgruntled using yours.

Your goal is to make sure your product stays right for you. You’re the one who has to believe in it most. That way, you can say, “I think you’ll love it because I love it.”

I'm a big fan of the customer is always right but maybe not just right then...When ever I say no, I always make the attempt to explain why. Some times I can, some times I can't.

Good post.

I have had many requests for knives and as a part-time maker the answer is "Thank you but I'm not taking orders". Knives can be purchased through dealers or at shows. As my business pays the bills, that comes first and I don't want to get into a situation where there are a bunch of people waiting for knives. One phone call can have me out of the shop for weeks at a time.

No list, no promises, no deposits, no hard feelings.

Just taking orders period would be over extending myself besides the addition of specific customer design elements, etc. I've had to balance getting my knives into peoples hands versus....not.

When the two dealers I work with identify a popular model, handle material or finish they'll ask for it in their next batch. They listen to what people like, pass that on to me and I respond appropriately.

That formula is working well so far.

Depending on where my knifemaking goes I'll have to address taking orders sooner or later. As this is all relatively new to me that'll be down the road a while.

BC

Last edited:
The biggest problem with all dealer sales that I see is that you do not know your customers. You dealers know them....

You can (and are) getting around that a couple way. The forums and shows.

Shows are all about getting to know makers and clients. You can buy a knife anywhere without the cost and trouble of going to a show. Putting a face to the name and a voice to the posts is priceless.

The forums also give you a means to communicate with the clients.

Everything is a trade off and as the boss pointed out, timing is everything! ;)

Les, I agree 100%. The knives I've made for specific people have been very gratifying to make - knowing who has asked for that knife and walking up to the grinder takes on a different feel: I'm not just trying to make it the best I can but I'm making it the best I can for Mr.__________. As discussed in another good thread http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=3165 you don't just buy the knife, you buy the maker.

That's why I really like the shows because I can interact with potential customers and discuss the knives. I'm trying to balance taking orders with the very real potential of getting folks upset vs. getting knives out there for people to use and enjoy.

BC

Last edited:
No list, no promises, no deposits, no hard feelings.

I heard that. I have one unsatisfied customer, completely my fault. It was a re-handle job which got pushed aside due to unforeseen circumstances and forgotten about. Months later I get a nasty letter and find the project in a dusty corner of the old shop during a move. NOT GOOD.

I'm in a big rush to get the work done. I've probably lost a good customer. Learn from my mistake and don't take orders, deposits or prepayment unless you're absolutely confident you can deliver on-time.

Another instance... a happy customer who's bought a couple fixed-blades from me calls up wanting a balisong. I explain that I've never made a folder much less a bali and don't want to take on the job. I just don't feel I'm qualified to do it right. The customer reckons a knife is a knife and I'm just being obstinate. :confused:

As for now I'm just going to build what I darn well feel like and know I can do well. Put them up for sale when they're ready to ship. To me, goofing up like I did because I was hungry for orders isn't worth it. Maybe that's just me.

I heard that. I have one unsatisfied customer, completely my fault. It was a re-handle job which got pushed aside due to unforeseen circumstances and forgotten about. Months later I get a nasty letter and find the project in a dusty corner of the old shop during a move. NOT GOOD.

I'm in a big rush to get the work done. I've probably lost a good customer. Learn from my mistake and don't take orders, deposits or prepayment unless you're absolutely confident you can deliver on-time.

Another instance... a happy customer who's bought a couple fixed-blades from me calls up wanting a balisong. I explain that I've never made a folder much less a bali and don't want to take on the job. I just don't feel I'm qualified to do it right. The customer reckons a knife is a knife and I'm just being obstinate. :confused:

As for now I'm just going to build what I darn well feel like and know I can do well. Put them up for sale when they're ready to ship. To me, goofing up like I did because I was hungry for orders isn't worth it. Maybe that's just me.

Not just you - me too.......:rolleyes::D

Good thread - just say NO. - :)

TA

I seen one maker that had a "wish list". He didn't do commissions. If you add a knife and name to The "wish list". If he makes a knife like it, you had first refusal on that knife. It gives him the option. If times are lean it gives him a chance to do his wish list. I am really rethinking commissions myself. I don't like being under the gun. I have quit taking deposits for that reason.

I seen one maker that had a "wish list". He didn't do commissions. If you add a knife and name to The "wish list". If he makes a knife like it, you had first refusal on that knife. It gives him the option. If times are lean it gives him a chance to do his wish list. I am really rethinking commissions myself. I don't like being under the gun. I have quit taking deposits for that reason.

In the past few weeks, I've gotten way more backed up on orders than I was before. I'm now quoting 12-16 weeks for orders to start, and not taking deposits. But I do customs, so I take the orders. I'm feeling a teensy bit stressed because they've been piling in. I owe three people phone calls and have to find a way to print out a catalogue version of my website this weekend to take 4 more orders!!!!

I recently started a thread over on another forum where I'm established- it's a "interested list" for a design that has had a lot of positive feedback.

I'm liking this. I know I have a knife that is good, will sell, and I have a list of people not on any fixed timeline to contact. It's much less stress than just pluggin through the job board.

Of course, once the move is complete I'll have a shop that' in a building. My own shop. That should help with the disorganization issues....

Back