Sausages Recipes

Deltashooter

OK guys what is some of your favorite sausage recipes?
Not the ones you buy in the store prepackaged, but some homemade sausage.
I have about 300 pounds of venison to start grinding this weekend and would like to get some different favorites from ya’ll.
I normally mix 3 parts venison to 2 parts pork butt. So I’ll windup with about 500 pounds of ground meat. Some will make breakfast sausage, Italian sausage, summer sausage, and jerky. The rest will be left as ground meat for the year.

So what’s some of your favorites that you don’t mind sharing?

Here is a recipe for Andouille Sausage made totally with pork. You'll have to adjust the amounts to use the venison.

5 pounds pork butt
1/2 pound pork fat
1/2 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup cracked black peppercorns
2tbsps cayenne pepper
1 tbsp dry thyme
4 tbsps salt
6 feet beef middle casing (see butcher shop or specialty shop)

Grind the pork (or in your case the venison and pork and pork fat)
add all the other ingredients and mix well
stuff meat into casings making one foot lengths
Slow smoke at 175-200 degrees for ~ four to five hours.
Andouille is typically smoked over pecan wood but other woods will also work well.
The sausage can then be frozen and used in gumbos, white or red beans or whatever your imagination comes up with. It's so good it'll make you want to slap yo' mamma.

That’s what I’m talking bout.
Thanks Denny.
Probably bump the cayenne up some, that’s not a lot for 5 ½ pounds of meat.
When I smoke I mostly use pecan or apple. Think I’ll pickup some hotdog casings for this also, just sounds like a good dog.

Remember when using venison for sausage, grind in some pork fat from your local butcher.
Otherwise its way to dry!

This is our recipe for a Cabbage sausage. It is best fresh but will freeze. One side for 2lb, other for 10 lb. Jess
for 10lb -- for 2lb
1 Tbsp -- .5 tsp Pepper
2 Tbsp -- 1.25 tsp Sage
1 Tbsp -- .5 tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tbsp -- .5 tsp Nutmeg
1 Tbsp -- .5 tsp Thyme
1 Tbsp -- .5 tsp Ground Hot Red Pepper
1 small -- 0.5 Onion
3.5 lb -- .75 lb Cabbage
10 lb -- 2 lb Pork
3.75 Tbsp --2 tsp Salt

Last edited:
Smoked Jalapeno Sausage links

6 pounds venison
2 pounds pork shoulder with fat
2 pounds pork or beef fat

2 teaspoons Prague powder #1 or insta-cure curing salt
5 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons jalapeno powder
Several fresh jalapenos depending on how hot you want the sausage
½ fresh bell pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 tablespoons granulated garlic
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 tablespoon black pepper more or less
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 cup non fat dry milk
About a cup of ice cold water more or less a needed

Mix salt, cure and dry spices in a bowl. The plastic ones with a snap on lid work well.

Seed peppers and put in a food processor or blender chop or process with a little water and set aside.

Put cold ground meat and fat into a large bowl, pot or what ever clean container you have or a meat mixer if you are lucky. Add spices, peppers and part of the water, start mixing. Add water as needed to help mixing.

Test fry a small patty and taste.

Stuff into hog or sheep casings and twist into links. Put links into cooler or fridge overnight to cure keep below 38 degrees.

The next day take the links out and set on counter to warm up while the smoker is lit.

I like to use pecan on these but other wood will do. Light the fire and allow to burn down to start keep smoker temp at about 150. Dry the outside of sausage in an oven at about 130 or 140 about an hour. Electric smokers will take care of this part without the smoke.

When smoker is maintaining 150 place sausages on racks or smoke sticks and smoke for 1 hour.

I use a digital thermometer with a metal cable to check internal temp of the sausage. Just run the cable from the probe out the smoke stack and plug it into the display. Stick probe into the center of one sausage.

After an hour at 150 raise the temp to 170 and hold there until internal temp is 153.

Remove sausage from smoker and into a large pot (turkey fryer size) of cold water with a little ice. This will stop the cooking and keep the fat from bleeding out. After few minutes in the cold water they should be cool enough to handle. Hang or place on clean counter top until completely cooled to room temp.

Package as you wish for freezing. I you want to eat some soon just keep some in the fridge overnight.

All you need now is to grill them and enjoy.

This one is always a big hit. It has a garlic polish style jalapeno flavor.

Craig

Denny,
That Andouille is 5 star.
Used 3 pounds of ground venison to 2 pounds of pork fat / 30-40% lean.
Made up 5 pounds and cooked a paddy to test- little too salty.
So we cut the salt in half and made another 10 pounds. A few days later we tried a recipe for Cajun Potato Soup that calls for Andouille sausage, It’ll knock your hat in the creek.
I think that I’ll make up another 10 pounds this weekend.

Thanks for the recipe.

Todd

Back