Salvaged "Throw Away"

rcknives

Here is a shot of one of my latest knives that shows some file and leather work.

The knife is made from D2 steel sized 3/16" thick. The blade is 4 1/4" long with an OAL of 9". The blade is hollow ground using no jig, all done completely by hand. The handle material is walnut (just some material I had laying around).

The knife was built for a local customer that wanted something that would handle anything from a whitetail to a cape buffalo :les:. Wow! I had to sit back and scratch my head for a while since I'm from South Texas never having skinned a cape buffalo didn't know where to start with the design on that one until I reached in that old 5 gal bucket of "throw aways" we all have but few actually admit to.

I found this one close to the bottom which was one of my first designs that I really wasn't happy with. I read somewhere that you should never throw away any of your "bad" knives, one day you can salvage it and how true that is! Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• p1015348.jpg
    p1015348.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 119
  • p1015351.jpg
    p1015351.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 148
  • p1015361.jpg
    p1015361.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 173
  • p1015364.jpg
    p1015364.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 176
beautiful knife. I love the file work and ur leather work looks great.
I actually cant wait to have me a five gal buckets full of throw aways.
my favorite knife that I bought from my mentor is a throw away, that started it life as a bigger different designs and got warped in the heat treat. I would trade it for all the money that could bring the usa out of dept. lol

Thanks guys. This was actually the first set of pics I took indoors so the lighting was giving me a hard time.

Robert,
I call those Design Modifications! As in DM. Well this is a new knife pattern that came to me in a dream that will work for Bowie knife but became a caping knife Blah, Blah etc..:big grin: Most things are discovered by accident!

I only have a small box while you other guys need a big bucket for yours!:9::9::9: LOL

I love the stance of the knife,tell you what , any time you want to "through away" any of those just let me know and I would be glad to take them off your hands:happy:

Nothing wrong with that! I don't believe in throw away steel! I can make something from it, or forge it into something else. Like extra money..

Back