Rotary Platen Uses

Johnny Roberts

Do any other Dogs have one of these?

I have one but have only done limited handle shaping with it.

What else can it be used for? Sharpening?

What are your techniques and tricks with this attachement?

Mvc-016.jpg

Johnny

I use mine to sharpen my knives. I also use it to convex the tip on my Tanto design. I think it should work great for convex grinding.
-John

I can't make knives without it. I flat grind 75% of the grind and use the rotary for the final 25% finish of the grind which gives the blade a slight convex contour.
Scott

These are some great tips from some heavy hitters on the forum. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like I need to spend some more time in front of this beauty.

I'd be glad to let ya use it if you shared your secrets on that fantastic file and leatherwork, Cliff! ;)

I am especially fond of the "Gambler" with the scrimshaw.

Johnny

I can't make knives without it. I flat grind 75% of the grind and use the rotary for the final 25% finish of the grind which gives the blade a slight convex contour.
Scott

I use mine for convex grinds the same as Scott uses his 2thumbs

I also use it for handle work and sharpening.

For sharpening I rotate the platen CCW as shown in the OP's pic, till the first long side comes to top. I rotate until the back wheel just touches the belt. On my grinder it places the belt surface at ~ 12*
I've tried using the first long side to come topside when rotated CW in the OP's pic but the belt will not track right on my KMG when running in reverse . It however tracks perfectly when using the first described side ;)
I snug the roller platen belt up tight for sharpening and use it with just a bit of slack for handle work and convex grinding.

One thing I noticed about the Roller Platen is that there is a learning curve to using it. I've had mine for a couple years now and I'm still finding new uses and techniques for it.

Scott said, "He couldn't make knives without it"
I doubt that :D
In fact, both of us could make knives without it ......... but, like Scott, I wouldn't want to after having used it for a couple years now.
It's way too valuable a tool !
I love mine !!
:bud:

I'd be glad to let ya use it if you shared your secrets on that fantastic file and leatherwork, Cliff! ;)

I am especially fond of the "Gambler" with the scrimshaw.

Johnny
No problem Johnny, pack your bags and that platen and head to Kentucky:running dog:

Thanks for the comments, that gambler knife was a custom order, I've only done one other and it was for my wife's Christmas a few years back. Here is a pic of it
Knife.jpg

I have started on another blade like it but it keeps getting put on the back burner.

I've been doing more and more convex grinding which is why that platen would be so nice.

David, I guess I could still make knives without it if I had to. :D But it does make it alot easier. It does take some getting use to. It's all in the feel.
Scott

Cliff to say the least holy crap thats nice. Some day ill only wish to get that good. kellyw

Thanks HELLGAP.

Back to the subject, what spacing do you guys use for convex grinding? Where the wheels are farthest apart and adjust belt tension accordingly? I'm going to have to have one of those but my problem is I do nearly all my blade grinding on the 132 inch Bader space savers so I would need to build one or make an arm that attaches that one on those grinders.

Back