Red Layout Dye?

James Terrio

Recently I ran out of blue Sprayon layout dye. So I used a red Sharpie that was handy, and found I can see the scribed lines much better than with either blue dye or black Sharpie.

Unfortunately, the Sharpie ink wears off pretty quick when you get it hot and dunk it in water repeatedly, even the "Industrial" type. I found Dykem spray in a red color online and I bet that would be better. Anyone tried it? If it "sticks" as well as the Sprayon or Dykem blue I will definitely get some.

Note: I've also noticed (pretty much by accident) that a light coat of layout dye prevents surface rust on blades that are ground but hang around the shop for awhile before HT/finishing. Saves grinding/sanding time later.

Last edited:
Only difference I have ever noticed in the different colors is the color, they all seem to hold up about the same. YMMV :)

I have seen the red in the brush on variety and it just looks too much like blood for my comfort. I tend to scrape or cut myself somehow every time I go into the shop. With the blue dye, there's no question it's dye. That's just my paranoia talking though.

I agree the dye does help keep the rust down. That's a good tip! :)

Les, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Curt, I've learned to completely ignore blood unless it's actually running down my arm :) Small cuts seem to fill up with steel dust pretty quick. I reckon it stops the bleeding and maybe adds a little iron to my "diet" :D

Only half-joking... I currently have ugly scabs on BOTH forearms from two different instances of lightly brushing past a running belt while going to dunk a blade. Oddly enough, 50-grit belts take off layers of skin even faster than layers of tool steel... go figger! Perhaps I should move my dip-can...

Last edited:
I told you that a "dip can" has nasty brown stuff in it. A "quench can" is what you have at your grinder. Actually I have a 5 gallon bucket sitting on top of another bucket (with a lid) right under the tool arm. It is convienant to quench and catches lots of the grindings. The other day I dropped my "Bubble Jig in the quench tank and when I reached in and brought it out I thought that I had a drowned musk rat in my hand.
:s12137:

Wayne... I'm still confuzzled. My dip can does indeed have nasty brown stuff in it, I call it "rust soup". I quit calling it a "quench can" long ago after someone chewed me out, saying, "you're not heat-treating in it, don't confuse people." I suspect that "drowned muskrat" may have been a present Moe left for ya... he seems like the sneaky practical-joker type.

Right now my biggest concern is having plenty tobacco and a dead lighter. I haven't had a smoke in a couple hours and my woman seems to think her job is more important than bringing me a book of matches, how rude!! I'm about to go dig up a 9V battery and pad of steel wool, for blankety-blank's sake!!

Anyway, sounds like the red layout dye is a good idea, thanks for your help, you goofy sumbiscuits! :D

James,I use red markers as I change grits. I color it heavy and start grinding. Red seams to last longer but it could be because I color it very very heavy. It will pick up the small scratches. Plus I use a jewelers loop to look the blade over before going on. Just my experience.

Ok if it is not a quench tank and it it is going to confuse some one (who is probably all ready confused anyway) it must be a "slack tub". But not a dip can. BTW you don't light Dip.

ok now I'm confused can you spit dip in a quinch tank. or quinch in a dip can I dunno I just use a bowl of water and wash it good before the wife has a chance to see it.

Last edited:
I don't know why but the red seems to stick better. It stays in the scratches better than blue if you paint between grits.
And it has better contrast.
I mostly use red.

There is a difference between the layout fluid and the dye too.

Use the layout fluid...

There is a difference between the layout fluid and the dye too.

Use the layout fluid...

I kinda wondered about that...

Ok I think I've got it straight in my head... dunk hot blades in a slack bucket... go for the red layout fluid... keep an extra lighter handy... don't spit dip with the respirator still on. And thanks Wayne, now I understand why my cigs wouldn't stay lit!

I'll have to try the red again, I guess. I just grab the closest one when I use it, and I dont use it often....

Les, I use some sort of marker or layout dye almost constantly. If you can get those clean grinds you're known for without it, more power to ya!

Interesting sidenote... the most common form of "color-blindness" is difficulty seeing red, I don't know exactly why... something about the arrangement/amount of rods/cones inside yer eyeball; doesn't seem to have much to do with visual acuity, which dependes more on the actual lens of your eyeball. So red may not work for everyone. I can barely read a billboard across the street without my glasses, but by golly my color-vision is off the charts, so it works well for me. YMMV.

P.S. about slack-buckets, dip-cans... whatever you want to call 'em... I've read that in addition to a little soap/surfactant to reduce surface tension and allow the steel bits to sink (thanks, Wayne Coe!), baking soda in the bucket helps prevent the water making your blades flash-rust. Haven't tried it yet. Seems worth a try though, I've seen pre-HT 1080/1084/O1/1095 blossom orange only moments after dunkin' in plain tap-water when I forgot to wipe it good and dry.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, baking soda. Have to try that.

I recently got some red dykem in a felt tip applicator (I actually meant to order the blue) but it works just fine. I really like the applicator as opposed to the brush on. It goes on thinner, similar to the spray, but I don't waste any in overspray. I use it to coat my bevels between grits. I'll probably just by a jug of it next time and reuse the applicator.

Boraxo Laundry Booster is a one shot deal for your dip bucket.

Breaks suface tension, and prevents rust.

Learned that one from Loveless.

This has turned out to be a good thread with good information,,,,,and some fun at James' expense.
:s12137:
He makes such a good target and accepts it so graciously. I'm looking forward to his next visit. Maybe he will stay longer and will pick up a hammer.

Back