rc tester???

bluegrass in ga

Looking to buy a tester. Anybody have any advice on the purchase, know of a smoking deal some where right now. Any words of wisdom or heads up would be appreciated. Thanks Danny

Around $700 from Enco is the best price I know of.

You occasionally see used ones for sale but beware that having one calibrated can cost around $1000 with packing and shipping.

Jim Batson demonstrated a hardness tester that he had made. It consisted of a series of pieces of hardened steel. Each was hardened to a specific hardness. When testing a blade he had just hardened he would start with a lower hardness tester and move up until one would scratch the blade. That was the hardness of the blade. I'll talk to him at the Blade Show and ask him if he will register on Knife Dogs and write us a tutorial on how to make his tester. Just in case I forget, someone remind me.

Last edited:
I got a Ames portable off Ebay for about $150. Just kept searching and bidding on portable hardness tester, until I got one. Always make sure that it comes with the diamond indentor. They are expensive. Mine didn't come with one, but, when I emailed the guy about it he sent me one.

Jim Batson demonstrated a hardness tester that he had made. It consisted of a series of pieces of hardened steel. Each was hardened to a specific hardness. When testing a blade he had just hardened he would start with a lower hardness tester and move up until one would scratch the blade. That was the hardness of the blade. I'll talk to him at the Blade Show and ask him if he will register on Knife Dogs and write us a tutorial on how to make his tester. Just in case I forget, someone remind me.

Hey Wayne,that would be nice to have.Hope someone can remind me to remind you:D Maybe Mr. Jim would do that for us.

Thanks
God bless,Keith

Hi

The files dont work that good on for example CPM steels becasue the carbides in the steel is much harden then the hardenss of the steel matrix. For example a test file at 59hrc will skate on CPM 154 blade at 55Hrc or even lower hardness.

Regards Jakob

I got a new one a few months ago when M S C had them on sale, almost half price, $650.00 for a $1200.00 machine.

I got an Ames on Fleabay for $200. A new one is over $1200. The one I got was brand new and had never been used. It came with the diamond indenter and test blocks. It works great and has been reliable so far. They are out there. You just have to be patient.
-John

blocks

Thanks for all the input guys, I think for now I'm gona get a set of blocks and maybe see if that deal of a life time comes around. Thanks again, Danny:cool:

Has anyone used this type of hardness tester???

This one was on the same site as the files, I've seen this one on eBay, and have seen them sell for 200 plus dollars, but it wasn't the same brand name. I think it was a Detroit. If anyone has used this one (or one like it) to any degree of success, let me know, it is at least affordable. And if it's within 1 to 2 points of accuracy, that might be good enough, provided I know how far off it is. Thanks, Rex

Attachments

• Flexbar Portable Hardness tester.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 25
This one was on the same site as the files, I've seen this one on eBay, and have seen them sell for 200 plus dollars, but it wasn't the same brand name. I think it was a Detroit. If anyone has used this one (or one like it) to any degree of success, let me know, it is at least affordable. And if it's within 1 to 2 points of accuracy, that might be good enough, provided I know how far off it is. Thanks, Rex

I too am curious about these types of testers as I have seen them all over the place and as sated, they are at least some what affordable.

Back