Rawhide Sheath

nthe10ring

I don't make a lot of sheaths for knives other than my own, but a good customer that had purchased a couple of knives from me asked me to make one for a knife he had that was sheath-less. Heres the sheath for a leg-bone handled knife. Its a rawhide standing center seam outer. over veg tan with veg tan cuff. I like for colors and textures to compliment the knife and felt this came together fairly well.

Regards
Jerry Fisher

100_5355.jpg

100_5357.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet! I love working with rawhide(after I scraped about a dozen learning how to stitch it)although my center seams always look like S seams. If I may, what did you use for dye and finish? Again, nice sheath..........Randy

That is really some very nice work, Jerry. I am particularly impressed with the tip of the sheath.

Paul

I am into all types of leather work and you did a outstanding job. Great design. KT

Last edited:
Thanks Cappaletti.
Randy- On the veg tan skirt its a mix of orange overdyed with chocolate.. from Fiebings. The Rawhide is dyed with yellow, and then over-dyed using a dry brush sparingly with chocolate and British Tan, occasionally with a very little black. Then using a very fine brush, dark brown and chocolate on the seam itself. The whole thing is sealed with Carnuba Creme.
Paul- Thanks for the comments , means a lot from the maestro himself. The tip came out pretty good on this one, sometimes it can be a pain to get it wrapped around and tapered out on the back side.
Kid- Thanks, I do quite a bit of leatherwork myself, mostly period stuff from mid to late 1700's and Early European shooting bags of the same era. I usually have a knife on the back that I make and also do the horns. If theres some interest I will post some photos later. My wife says I have too many things to lust after but I like to keep busy.

Very nice job Jerry,I'm impressed by the smoothness and absense of wrinkles, which is not easy to accomplish in rawhide center seam sheaths!

That's some very nice work.While I do not have a ton of experience using rawhide, I have used enough to know getting seams straight and no wrinkles is tough.Dave

Hey Trav, sorry I missed your post, just cruising the forum and noted your entry. Thanks for the comment, been meaning to get back up and see you guys. Noticed location now in Georgia, are you not up on the coast at all now.

Jerry

Last edited:
Back