Questions about the uses of the different leather weights

This a picture of the back side of 8-9 oz. wichit and craig Russet skirting split from 10-12.This is the belly where you can see the difference in the split vs. natural back.
I'm dyeing cut pieces for a sheath here. http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?26655-Kirinite-Pepper-Jade-bowie-WIP&p=245026#post245026
p
Kirinitesheath022_zps3672fb7d.jpg
[/IMG]

If you are making a quality product (and being adequately compensated) leave the split with W&C. It can be refinished but it will always remain an inferior material. It will not tool, stamp or carve. The splitting of the hide is described as "no charge". True enough---if they keep the split--- if you retain the split the charge is shown as 75 cents a square foot. In over 65 years of leather crafting I have used less than 20 feet of split leather. Unless you have a specific use for it, it will not be an asset in your shop.----Sandy

Thanks Sandy my research has pretty much concluded that. I am relatively new to all the leather work, so that's why I have been asking so many questions! One thing I have learned to have a quality product there are no shortcuts!

So in short if you want a quality finished product you got to pay for the good stuff up front and then I think the rest of it is like anything practice, practice, practice! So now I got to figure out what I am gonna hock to get some good leather :what!:and start practicing!:3:

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread!:35:

So now I got to figure out what I am gonna hock to get some good leather :what!:and start practicing!:3:

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread!:35:

I just recently bought some Herman Oak leather from Springfield Leather. Prior to that I'd been using Tandy leather and got tired of the quality (lack of) and price. The HO from Springfield was not only cheaper than Tandy, the quality was outstanding. The cleanest, most uniform leather I'd seen. You might want to check with them if you don't want to pay for a full side from W&C.

Note that I'm not trying to dis W&C. My goal is one day to be able to buy a side or three. That pre-dyed stuff seems like it would be a dream to work with. But until then, I'll be buying HO from now on!

You sure got alot of good advice , all I can say and add is you get what you pay for. I was buying low end veg tan leather and stepped up and bought some 10 dollar a sq ft leather and all I can say is I missed the boat. The leather carves 3 times cleaner better and stamps and dye s way way more even. I wish I would have listen to the pro s a long paul long time ago lol kellyw

Back