Question on wire inlay

Keith Willis

I made me a few tools,and done a little reading on the subject,however,I am still practicing,and would like to know if someone could tell me,besides the silver wire,that I would say,is not cheap.What would be something that would be close,in thickness and width,to the silver wire,that I could practice with?

God bless,Keith

Hk,

I'm really just getting started with silverwire myself. I did make some homemade wire from brass sheet but would not recommend going that route. You'll will, IMHO, come out way ahead by begining with actual silverwire.

You can get it in 3 feet pieces from Dixie gun works for $4.99 for German/Sterling silver or I think 7.99 for 99.5% fine silver.

goggle dixiegunworks then search for silver wire

The drawback to the cheaper grade is that it will tarnish so If you think you'll get a decent result go with fine silver. 36" should be plenty do do a fairly intricate scroll on two sides of a handle.

If you really want to practice on non handle wood I'd say get 9 ft of the cheap stuff and go for it. By the time you use that up you should have a sound understanding of the techniques and be ready for the fine silver.

Hope this helps. Josh

Thanks guys

Josh,you may just be starting out,but I think your work is awsome.Keep it up bro.

God bless,Merry Christmas,Keith

Has anyone tried small copper wire?

I don't know why copper wire wouldn't work to practice. It might even look pretty good.

Cliff,

Short answer- It will work :) I made and used brass wire cut from brass sheet with tin-snips for my first attemps and it will indeed work. There are some problems though and some issues of logic to take into account.

The actual amount of $$ saved in making wire from sheet stock is very minimal being the most imoportant aspect to me. Basically you may save $20 to $30 on wire cost to do 4 or 5 projects but that savings will most likely come at the expense of lower quality workmanship.

The hardness of the wire plays a signifigant role in it's workability. Too hard and it'll be nearly impossible to get scrolls without kinking the wire, especially in tight curves.

Too soft and it will become a chore to hammer the wire into place without deforming and/or rolling the wire over. These problems will rear their ugly head when "rolling" a scroll in a 2-dimensional pattern around the 3-dimensional surface of the wood.

I do hope this explaination is understandable.

That being said though it may very well be possible to anneal brass or copper to end up with a more agreeable wire. I have had the thought of doing a three colored design with brass copper and silver but any attempt at that will be down the road quite a ways.

These are just my thoughts from limited personal experience and talking with others who have much more knowledge than myself on this subject.

I was ready to go and too impatient to wait on silver wire to ship so I got brass sheet from the K&G display at the local Ace Hardware and went for it. That is really the only reason I didn't use silver wire from the begining :)

-Josh

One ounce of half hard fine silver wire is only going to cost about 22.00 dollars and is going to give about 25 feet of wire of a suitable size for inlay. Bill Moran got his wire from here http://www.hagstoz.com. they are very easy to work with and don't mind dealing in small quantities.

To add:
For those who don't know....the "wire" we are talking about is a flat strip about 2-3MM by .5MM ,or in English units, 1/8-3/32 by .020-.030 (22-24 gauge). Round wire is used for engraved metal inlay work on guns and such, flat wire is used on wooden gun stocks and knife handles.
Stacy

Back