Question on Handle size

pocomoonskyeyes

Okay my wife wants me to make her a personal knife. The thing is, is that she has small hands. I want to make her a knife hat "Fits" her. Do any of you have any "formula" for determining the appropriate size handle?? Her hand measures 3 1/2" across x 6 1/4" from her wrist to fingertip of her middle finger. I'm not worried so much about the thickness of the handle (I can always sand it down to suit her) as I am concerned about the length. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

One thing with knife handles is that it is better to have too much than too little. Also the shape of the handle is going to effect the final package. I don't really know if there is a really good rule of thumb for this as it is a very subjective thing.

Doug Lester

Give her a chunk of modeling clay, bread dough, or something else that's pliable but will hold its shape. Ask her to grip it as she would a knife, till it feels comfortable to her.
This should give you a good idea of the size and shape that she'll like.

Overall design is a factor, too. A blade that looks really strange on paper or the bench, is probably going to feel pretty weird, and not balance well in the hand. But as Doug says, it's a subjective thing.

I've handled knives and other tools with very different shapes that were all quite comfortable. It's amazing how adaptable the human hand is, not to mention how much personal opinions can vary. That may be why there's not many set rules for handle shapes/sizes. I do agree with Doug that too much is generally better than not enough.

you might get pine ore something make up afull &hide shape wen shes happy you have a design for her maybe a pic of her knife wen finished

Last edited:
Back