Quench plates or oil

Please be aware that none of this is “all or nothing”, nothing in steel is 100%, we are always trying to trim off those extra phases to the levels that are acceptable to us. There are levels that will allow the knife to do what we want, even though under the microscope, it may be shocking. We just need to find our happy spot, our Eden.
In all seriousness, Thank you for that Kevin. You said very simply what I struggle to get across. Some people think because someone wrote in a book that this steel should be quenched in oil, air or goat urine that there could not possibly be another way to achieve acceptable results, perhaps not the very best results, but fully acceptable results. So when people see someone who does something a little different because it works for them they feel a need to pounce. I have said it many times., I give advice form a hobbyists standpoint and from what works in my shop and that is it.

@Chris Railey - I come here for polite conversation with people who come here for the same reason. I'm not sure why you've seen fit to ascribe meaning to what I wrote beyond the words on your screen, but I've neither debated, picked a bone, pounced, disparaged, nor even so much as questioned your ability to produce the results you claimed. It was a simple engagement I chose to make with another hobbyist to stimulate conversation about something with which I have no experience. Apparently you're interested in no such thing, at least with me. Rest assured whatever problem you're having is on your end.

@Chris Railey - I come here for polite conversation with people who come here for the same reason. I'm not sure why you've seen fit to ascribe meaning to what I wrote beyond the words on your screen, but I've neither debated, picked a bone, pounced, disparaged, nor even so much as questioned your ability to produce the results you claimed. It was a simple engagement I chose to make with another hobbyist to stimulate conversation about something with which I have no experience. Apparently you're interested in no such thing, at least with me. Rest assured whatever problem you're having is on your end.
I probably should have mentioned my most recent post really was not directed at you or any one person but more a problem I see in the community. That is my bad as they say. Admittedly, I do have a sore spot when the “by the book Bettys” pounce on anything that is not a direct regurgitation from a book somewhere. That is exactly how I read your post but in truth, text is a very poor And inefficient means of communication. As I mentioned in another response above, I am willing to take you at your word that you did not intend it that way. As far as I am concerned it was a miscommunication. I have no problem on my end, you clarified and I appreciate that.

After re-reading the post above and in interest of beating a dead horse I wanted to add that I am NOT talking about very knowledgeable people like Ed, Kevin, J.D. and others. Their posts are always in the interest of someone gaining knowledge and their heart is to truly help someone improve. They NEVER seek to belittle or insult. I always appreciate advice given in that manner...regardless if I choose to ignore it or not lol.

Back