Primal/tactical snake killer o-tanto

Stormcrow

This one was forged for the Blade Show, but came back to Texas with me. It ended up going to a customer who has bad luck with poisonous snakes, and when he saw pictures said it would be perfect for the inevitable ophidian encounters whenever he is outdoors.

It's forged from 5160, with a blade 12" long. The handle is two layers of paracord over leather, all impregnated with marine epoxy.

The Kydex sheath has slots for straps, allowing a quasi-traditional horizontal carry on a belt.

I also shot a little cutting video before it left the shop.

[video=youtube;A36bTwyaQAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A36bTwyaQAs[/video]

James, I'd prefer a 5 to 6 foot handle when I'm going after snakes. Every thought of making the same knife with a socket handle that will accept some sort of a stick or branch? Nice video and knife.

Very nice blade , and a good cutter . I n the Japanese tradition a Tanto is from approx. 6" to 12 inches . OTanto is a large Tanto that is longer than 12 " cutting edge . Normally a Tanto is 6 -12 ". a wakizashi is any Japanese blade between 12" and 24" A Katana is 24- 30'. There a variations though . I recently made a O wakizashi it was 25" in the realm of a Katana length but, shaped like wakizashi . Japanese blades range up 5 ft cutting edge such as a Tachi
which is a biiiiiig katana . It was use for taking a rider off his mount . I still cant figure out how they drew them from saya?? None the less you made a very cool Tanto .... I also like the turks knot..... regards Bubba

Bubba-san - Those are the classifications as I understand them. So, would the modifier "o" specifically be used for an oversized version, or could it also mean that it's at the upper end of the usual limit?

Storm Crow: great blade and great video. Your work has always impressed me.

Raymond: I hope you were able to sing "House of the Rising Sun". Keep on keepin' on.

Back