powder coating , ceracoat

bubba-san

I just finished off a couple swords in cpm 3V and at the customers request he want it coated with dark or black powder coating or maybe ceracote. I have never coated any of my blades so, my knowledge in this area is limited . Who does those coatings ? I live in Missouri so I would like to find someone in the tri-state area if possible . Any leads would be appreciated ..... Bubba

Last edited:
You can buy the cerakote at brownells that is air dry instead of oven cure. I have not used it but just ordered some to try on a tatical fighter. The directions say it is tack free in 40 minutes dry after 24 hours and cures in 5 days

Interesting, So its just sprays on ? no heat application or anything other than let it cure. I have someone who sprays a powdered metal made from chromium and vanadium and its done with a oxy acetylene torch with special attachment not unlike a small spay gun . It has same female screw assembly on the bottom so you can screw on small metal bottle of PM . He lights the acetlene torch and when he presses the oxygen handle the extra pressure starts drawing the pm into the hot gas jet .I literally welds / braises to metal.. It sounds like it would be super durable . He uses it to coat US military code tags not unlike a bar code . I was worrying about messing with the temper of blade. I am surprised blade coatings are just sprayed on with no further treatmant?
How durable is it . How would it compare to say, whatever is put on Busse swords ?

Last edited:
Don't know how durable it is yet but the knife i am coating is for myself for hog hunting and it will be used hard so I will keep you updated. Plan on spraying it this weekend. And yes you just spray it on with a airbrush gun or what ever you have that will work and let it dry. It comes in a few different colors also mine is graphite black. The blade is 8"long with a stainless guard and carbon fiber with 3/16 white g-10 spacer in the middle I think it will look pretty wicked when I get done with it.

Are Blade coatings really any good ? most of the ones I have seen still get damaged, scratched and dont prevent rust that well. I may well tell customer to carry a small can of black spray primer and if it gets scatched off , ... spray on a little more .

Don't powdercoat, most of that requires a 400 degree cure temp. I use cerakote NOT THE AIR CURE!!! Air cure is only about 60% as durable. The oven cure can be baked at 200 for 2-3 hrs to achieve the same effect, about what all of my vehicles interior gets here in the deep south...

Thanks for the info fellas , Be assured I will try them . I am starting to get into tactical swords not unlike Busse or scrapizashi . Made from very high quality steel . Most of the buyers want coated blades ?? but, I will give them what they want .... Thanks again Bubba

Hey Bubba, at realjob I do Trade Show Exhibits--read that FLASHY and GAUDY--We do a ton of powder coating. Cheap to get into and easy to do. The problem with powder coating is it is thick and grainy, very durable yes but not ascetically pleasing like paint because of it's dry application.
A new form that I'm playing with is called Powder Slurry Coating, same electrical adhesion but with a liquid carrier. Takes a little longer but it flows more like paint and promises to be just as durable.
As far as bothering tempering, 390 degrees F. for 10 minutes will cure PC. Small fasteners, nuts, bolt heads, ect. can be done with the spray can stuff and a heat gun.
The secret to any of these finishes is CLEAN!! One oily fingerprint will glow like neon....

Bubba looks like Kaleb filled you in on the what to know and Randy as well . good stuff. kellyw

I haven't coated any knives but I have done several guns. The guns I've done I've first Parkerized and then used Duracoat. Duracoat holds up very well on firearms. The Parkerization process leaves a dull gray (in most cases) finish which needs a minimum of 24 hours to cure, preferably longer if you are going to put something like Duracoat over the top. Duracoat can also be baked to speed up the curing process.

Duracoat comes in almost any color you can imagine.

I have not done any of this myself but I read a post here a while back mentioning going to a custom car shop ans asking the temp their powder coat is cured at. I can't remember who posted it but they said it held up well.
-Cameron

Bubba cerakote is no go. I coated a 8" fighter with it and stabbed a hog four times and it was scratched off in three places down to bare metal.

Back